If you could learn the entire history of a singular clock...

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
If you could learn the entire history and information of a single clock in your collection (from its design and creation, and all the information of the various hands it passed through until you received it), what clock would you choose?

My own choice would be the homemade RSM case with its very unique/strange design. It would be most interesting to learn about what happened to the original case at the time, as well as what family(ies) owned it.

Your thoughts?

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
For me it would be my bantam Vienna regulator. It can to me form my great friend Scottie-TX and he had acquired it from Ebay. I call him Barry (Scottie and I use to name all our Vienna clocks). I would love to know the rest of his story.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
There are quite a few, if not all of mine I would like to know everything about. I suppose all of us would say that. But I will use an acquisition from earlier this year for this thread:

First off, was the Storr Marmaduke or William? That's the least of my question.
This is the type of clock that the experts question. This is an early spring wall timepiece. It dates early in the realm of public clocks. It's transitional between giltwood cartel clocks, and dial clocks. If you read the thread in the link, you will learn the movement and the case are likely a couple years apart in age. And there are several other examples of these early dial clocks. This is not exactly a unique example.
I think perhaps the clock and clock case makers of the period were still feeling their way. Until eventually the ubiquitous English dial clock rounded into form.
But a lot of unanswered questions with this clock.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I would have several in mind but perhaps I should choose one of my locally made ones. Rescued as a dial and movement in Edinburgh it was made by Thomas Baker in Blandford in Dorset around 1700. Internal rack strike with n/s lever and striking on two bells, hour on the big bell, and passing strike on the half hour o the small bell. Would love to know what the case was originally, where Thomas came from to make such fine clocks, and how it ended up in Scotland without a case.

Last edited:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Perhaps my French marble clock which has a finisher's mark of BR, no maker's mark, it has an unusually large pendule de Paris timepiece movement and a retailer's name on the dial. I've seen other clocks with the same mark but have never been able to find out anything about BR or identify the retailer.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Either one of my prized Gustav Becker mantel clocks, especially considering they both exhibit signs of previous repairs.
Who repaired them? What happened for either clock to have accumulated any particular damage? How did they survive WW2?

Plenty to ask, but they only tock to each other.

410a.JPG 406.jpg

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
Would love to know the travels of my 2 circa 1780s Scottish long cases. On the other hand, I have an ogee that was a gift to my great grandmother for her marriage in 1872.
ogee.jpg

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
I would have several in mind but perhaps I should choose one of my locally made ones. Rescued as a dial and movement in Edinburgh it was made by Thomas Baker in Blandford in Dorset around 1700. Internal rack strike with n/s lever and striking on two bells, hour on the big bell, and passing strike on the half hour o the small bell. Would love to know what the case was originally, where Thomas came from to make such fine clocks, and how it ended up in Scotland without a case.
Fine clock and restoration too! Someone in the future will want to know who restored it!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Fine clock and restoration too! Someone in the future will want to know who restored it!
That's virtually how it arrived from Edinburgh. The rack tail is an incredibly solid affair with a hinged and sprung tab which was seized. Peter repaired that and fitted a pin as a hammer stop for the smaller hammer where there had been one before. I put new gut on it. That was the first job Peter ever did for me, I'd only just met him at a BHI meet. Scott's first job for me was changing the mask size on the hood.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I lived in Blandford for a while. To see it in 1700, the lace making, the markets, the town before the fire took hold, and it was rebuilt as a Georgian town, would have been something.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Yes it must have looked very different before the fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billraffy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller