If I were Cuckoo...

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by gleber, Apr 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What kind of wood would I be? o_O

I am wondering about hunter style cuckoos from the 1800s and from 1900 -1940. I do a lot of carving and use Basswood, Tupelo or Linden since the grain is very uniform. I am curious about what wood was predominant for traditional cuckoo clocks.

Thanks for any info.

Tom

2. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Primarily Linden,it's the European version of Basswood. It's easy to carve(with very sharp tools). I have also seen and have a couple that are Oak and Walnut. I do not think that Mahogany was used (I could be wrong).
    tom

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. That is sort of what I was expecting, so it's nice to get confirmation. I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some other frequently used wood.

Tom

4. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, both bass wood and linden wood are both from the Tilla species. It contains about thirty members from around the northern hemisphere. In the UK it’s called a Lime tree (unrelated to the fruit). While linden wood or bass wood is used for the carvings the sub structure of a Cuckoo clock such as the box and roof is usually white pine which is often veneered on the older clocks. I have also used African Mahogany to carve replacement tops and side panels.