Identity and pendulum information reuested

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by giorgio, Apr 20, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just acquired this small (70 cms high) tower clock which is nealy complete, missing the pendulum, motion works and auxiliary dial. I have figured out the pendulum length (127 cms) but have no idea what the pendulum looks like.

I will post additional photos, but I would first like to know if anyone is familiar with this clock. I bought in Germany, It seems to be of high quality and has a sustantial time train drum, as well as maintaining power.

Thanks in advance,
    Giorgio Perissinotto

Attached Files:

2. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have added two pictures of the clock. As you can see, the crutch is articulated and the crutch pin is not in line with the crutch itself. It curves to the right as you face it. I do not believe it has been bent in transit, but that it is the original curve. That is my problem.

I have made a (temporary) pendulum and the clock works fine, but I would really like to know or see what the original setup looked like.

Even the wildest guess (I have some) will be appreciated.
    Giorgio

Attached Files:

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK,Giorgio,here comes my "wild guess":Many german firms made mvmts like Yours between 1850 and 1950 to be used in schools,city halls,firms and where ever a kind of time standard was needed,BUT:to the best of my knowledge only one firm used that combination of colors-black plates with gold lines-for most of their mvmts: WEULE in the small city of Bockenem in the Harz-region of lower saxony.The general layout of the pendulum is not difficult to estimate,but:They made a pun out of their name:W-Eule(Eule means in German:Owl)The pendulum bob is a lengthly oval cast iron one in black,a letter W on top and a picture of an owl under it.Sorry,I don´t have a pic right now but if not anyone else comes first I´ll get one the next weeks and come back to the subjekt.For the general shape try to find my post"Wanna see mine"couple of month ago,it´s a verry similar clock by Korfhage.The curved crutch is original,it´s a safety device to disconnect the pendulum if-by any circumstances-the anchor pallet falls onto an ew-tooth.
    The city museum of Bockenem has an impressive collection of towerclocks by Weule representing the firm´s history,and cathalogues can be obtained for little money.Interested?Then I´ll take some photos next days.HTH
    Burkhard

4. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Berkhard,

I went to your post "Wanna see mine" but found no picture. I have figures out the pendulum lenghth (127cms), quite long for a 60 cms tall clock. Ss to the OWL on the pendulum, I am afraid I cannot match it.

Yes, I realized the crutch bent is original and I made a sliding contraption to balance it. The black and gold striping is not original and I will repaint it green and gold. I will post more picture as the project progresses, but I would like to hear --and see-- more clocks of this type.

GHiorgio

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK,Giorgio,a bit late but here´s my answer in two parts:First some pics of an old cathalogue of the Weule firm from the twenties.It begins with a broard article dealing with general aspects of public time keeping,it´s several pages illustrated with pics of buildings Weule provided clocks with.(Sorry,it´s in German)Then comes the whole range of products from verry heavy ones to the size You have,I photographed some of the litle ones.See the pendulums with the owl-logo.
    Enjoy
    Burkhard

(if You want more let me know)ATTACH]32636[/ATTACH

Attached Files:

6. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Giorgio,if You tell us that the black and gold color is not original then I withdraw my speculation concerning the maker of Your clock and admit that I don´t know him.As I said many firms produced mvmts.like Yours and they can only be id-de by small distinctive features as:
    Color.Is Your original color green?Then it could be the maker of my clock,Eduard Korfhage und Söhne.
    Pendulum release device(in case a pallet hits onto an ew-tooth)It´s a swivel lever with a V-slot hinged to the crutch,that rests on a pin of the wooden pendulum rod giving the pendulum free in case the anchor or crutch suddenly stops.
    Maintaining power:If I can trust my eyes with Your photos the mp-device in Your clock consists of a piece of iron wire,ca.3 mm thick,bent to 3/4of a circle,the ends ca 8-10mm bent perpendicularly to the circle´s plain in different directions.This"spring",quiet soft and not hardened is situated between first wheel and maintaining power wheel.One end of it goes into a hole of the first wheel,one end into the mp-wheel.The spring is "loaded"with tension from the weight and gives it back to the mvmt.when the clock is wound.
    So it could be a Korfhage?I show You some fresh pics of the above mentioned details,let´s see what You have :)
    Burkhard

Attached Files:

7. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the pictures and the detailed explanation. I think, after reading your opinion, that my clock is a Korhage. The maintaining power is as you describe it an the V slot is exactly as in your picture.

I am in the process of manufacturing a subsidiary dial and motionworks and will send picture when completd. I do not kno if the original color was green; it coul have been black, but the gold pisntripe is definitely a recent an clumsy job.

Giorgio

8. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Identity and pendulum information requested

Hi,Giorgio,
    forgot to mention:The firm Eduard Korfhage is still existing and led by Mr.Ed.Korfhage 6th generation.He has an informative homepage,google for it,and he´s a nice guy,friendly and verry helpfull.He´s allways interested in the clocks built by his ancesters and has a huge amount of spare parts.He could also tell You something about the year of production or the original color of Your clock.
    You could try to mail him some pics of Your mvmt.Let us know if he answers:)
    Burkhard