Identifying Tiffany Movement Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Douglaskunkel, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Douglaskunkel

Douglaskunkel New Member

May 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #1 Douglaskunkel, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Hello all. I am new to the forum, and relatively new to collecting. I recently purchased a Tiffany pocket watch with a moon phase, and triple date. It is very worn and I intend on doing a restoration, however there is some information I would like to know if possible. I have come to believe that even though Tiffany did make their own movements, there is a high possibility that the watch I purchased has a movement made by another company. The unusual part about the watch is that the moonphase dial is located at the 12 o'clock position. I'm having a difficult time identifying the movement and would appreciate any help from anyone who might know more than me. Thank you! The Listing is here https://www.ebay.com/itm/282473138097

2. Douglaskunkel

Douglaskunkel New Member

May 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank You

3. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Possibly intended as a travel clock?

But there are no visible marks on the
    movement; I'm skeptical. A movement
    close-up is badly needed.

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like an 8-day car-clock (or Travel type, as mentioned above) to me. The size, shape, and orientation of the stem give it away. That said, I don't see anything that "gives it away" as a Tiffany product. Maybe the dial is signed "Tiffany", but the fact that it is only a 7-jewel movement (Unless 8-days have different jewel locations that I'm unaware of.) says it's probably not Tiffany to me. I just don't recall seeing a 7-jewel Tiffany anything, except perhaps a piece of non-timekeeping jewelry.

I'm not sure, but you might try asking your question somewhere in the clock section, as it's really called a "car clock". Perhaps the moderator will move it if there's a better spot for it. If you bought it, I hope you find out it's genuine. My instinct is that it isn't. It has been wrong before though. Good luck.

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This little clock looks like it once resided in a folding leather holder as a "travel clock."

If I click on the movement image three times, it enlarges to where the jewel settings (which are not there with no jewels) can be seen. However the image is too fuzzy to make out what appears to be writing on the left and perhaps more writing near the screw on the right side. Whatever that is may give a clue.

I have seen a similar top plate layout on Tavannes watches.

6. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I may stand corrected. I'm going to have to get new eyes or a better monitor. They still look more like bushings to me and my monitor, but I may see a bit more color at the escape wheel and two adjacent pivots (The moon-phase design has me confused on what the pivots actually are for.). If this is the case, never mind what I said about the 7-jewel/Tiffany potential non-connection. I generally start out skeptical on Tiffany stuff that looks anywhere near iffy to me. Good luck.

7. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps I should have said enlarges to where the absence of jewel settings (which are not there with no jewels) can be seen. :)

8. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The same image in the original auction offering is
    better quality -- here for 'educational' purposes:

[​IMG]

The winding arrangement is an
    unusual one (3 wheels?)... are
    they a clue to the maker?

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both the winding and the gear train are appropriate for a watch that runs for 8 days. It was the layout that I was talking about when I said it looked like Tavannes.

10. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good job finding it. :thumb:

It has 15 jewels and with the better pictures, the jeweling is clear and probably the same on the OP piece.

11. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Super Moderator
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Sep 3, 2000
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Super Moderator
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Sep 3, 2000