• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Identifying 'TH' clock manufacturer

julcherw

New User
Sep 13, 2021
Country
This mantel clock has been in our family for some time and I'd be interested to know who made it, and indeed any other information the clock such as its age.

There are no logos or other inscriptions on the clock at all except for a serial number on the movement and the logo cut-out on the back of the wooden case. To me the logo looks like the letters 'TH' superimposed on each other. I can't find any more information by googling, and the only manufacturer with those initials that I can find is 'Thomas Haller'.

I've also added photos of the movement and front for reference.

Any help gratefully received !
Thanks

IMG_20210913_143304698.jpg IMG_20210913_144423637.jpg IMG_20210913_143339824.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

The "T over H" trademark is that of Thomas Haller AG.

According to the Mikrolisk website, Thomas Haller registered four different "T over H" trademarks. Two of them were registered in 1896, one was registered in 1908 and one was registered in 1905.

Junghans purchased Thomas Haller AG in 1900.

Your movement appears to be unmarked and presumably is a Thomas Haller AG movement. Your clock could have been made after the Junghans purchase of Thomas Haller AG in 1900. Junghans continued to use the TH trademark after the acquisition.

By looks, your clock appears to be an early Haller.

Regards.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Oh Man! That TH looks LEGIT!

Very beautiful and regal looking clock! Nice possession! You should definitely keep this piece.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
A very nice clock. If you can - please take more detailed photos of the mechanism.

As for 1900 - as far as I know it was the period of cooperation between JH and TH. But it was not an acquisition. After a few years, their joint operation was dissolved. TH continued to operate independently after that.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
As for 1900 - as far as I know it was the period of cooperation between JH and TH. But it was not an acquisition. After a few years, their joint operation was dissolved. TH continued to operate independently after that.
Yahagi,

I respectfully disagree with your statement.

According to Doug Stevenson,

"Junghans and Thomas Haller merged to become the Vereinigte Uhrenfabriken von Gebrüder Junghans & Thomas Haller A.-G. in Schramberg.

What can be confusing however is this. Thomas Haller the person did leave the VUGJ&TH firm in 1902 and joined his son's company, Thomas Ernst Haller. But the firm he left stayed Gebrüder Junghans & Thomas Haller until the last week in August 1911. They then changed the name to Gebrüder Junghans Aktien-Gesellschaft (the clip below is from the 1 September 1911 Deutsche Uhrmacher-Zeitung).

Not surprisingly, there was confusion at the time, as well. Indeed, the Vereinigte Uhrenfabriken von Gebrüder Junghans & Thomas Haller was pointing out in the DUZ in 1911 that they had nothing to do with the Thomas Ernst Haller firm.

What's clear though is that as late as 1910 the firm of GJ&TH was still identifying some clocks and some movements as of Thomas Haller (a "TH" movement). And using the TH trademark."

1631554095621.png

Based on the above, the corporate firm of Thomas Haller AG ceased to exist upon the acquisition by Junghans in 1900.

Regards.

Reactions: Yahagi

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
It can be like that.
I don't know the story of Thomas Haller that well. Maybe someday I will devote more attention to him.
Thank you for this detailed information.
:)

julcherw

New User
Sep 13, 2021
Country
Many thanks for all the information, very interesting and useful. I will try and get some close ups of the mechanism.

I'm guessing that none of the records of Thomas Haller exist any more, as it'd be great to have more information such as when it was made and where it was sold, which would have helped me work out who in my family originally bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-