Identifying patek or franken-patek movement

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Enginerd, Feb 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

Nov 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Enginerd, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Newbie to watch collection and identification. I inherited this "Patek" wristwatch from a great uncle in Argentina via my Father, which is possibly a so-called Franken-Patek. I took it for evaluation and service and the watch shop was of the opinion that the original Patek movement was from a different watch and was put into a non-Patek case. The number on the movement is 747200. I found an article about a similar movement that was probably used on a pendant watch.

In-Depth: Restoring and Recasing a Vintage Patek Philippe Movement | SJX Watches

I'm interested to know two things: 1) what previous watch or vintage was this movement probably from? and 2) If it is a Patek movement, is it worth having appraised? Should I approach a certified Patek dealer since it is sort-of authentic? Or does the choice of appraiser not matter since it appears to be not completely authentic?

thanks in advance

0430191115.jpg Patek_zoom.JPG

2. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    We need FAR better photos
    Movement looks like a pocket watch movement or very early wristwatch (no shock protection) - but case is older style

No one is interested in franken wristwatches.

3. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

Nov 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ok I will see if I can get better photos this evening thanks.

4. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Excellent - dial too

5. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

Nov 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ok unfortunately some combination of light and camera quality is making things not come out much better than before.
    It does now appear that the movement number is 147200 and not 747200.

I may have to talk to someone with better photography skills.

Oh also there is no identification number on the case.

IMG-1458-ok.jpg IMG-1460-ok.jpg IMG-1462-good.jpg

6. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    The number on the movement is serial number - not caliber, that if you are correct dates to 1910 - LONG before wristwatches existed.
    That points to a pocket watch or early ladies pendant watch movement in a new case and dial.
    Is movement actually marked Patek??

7. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It certainly looks like the movement is likely a Patek from an earlier era than the case. I don't know Patek serial numbers, but based on a quick study, it seems your movement would be from 1910 or so with that number. I will say though, that other Pateks from that time period seem to have a better finish, especially the balance cock and regulator area. That short and simple regulator sort of throws me. I also don't see what I believe is Patek's usual counter-poised "mustache-lever" pallet-fork. But it could be hidden in the images(?). No matter what, the movement is, as Adam said, quite a bit older than the case.
    What I find intriguing is that most of the "marriage" watches, that come out of eastern Europe have different styles of cases than this one. And they would put a clear back on the watch so you could see the movement. Yours is different, in that it uses an early 20th century movement in a rather sixties/seventies style case. At least that's what I see here. Bear in mind I am no expert. Good luck.

8. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Might help.

0430191115.jpg

9. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

Nov 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well as a side note my family tells me that this great uncle was a urologist for Aristotle Onassis and rather famous in Argentina in the earlier half of the 1900s. Which means he would have had the means to have some work commissioned, maybe. Or he could have been fooled by a fake. Not sure but would like to figure out the puzzle.

10. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Basically what I said
    A 1910 movement in an older franken case - the dial I highly suspect also franken.

This is not a "marriage" watch, but a pure franken piece - big difference

11. Enginerd

Enginerd Registered User

Nov 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ok thank you for the information.

12. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since you know it belonged to your relative, and he was a man of means and education, I'd guess that he probably had the watch made. If so, perhaps it was his father's movement that he wanted to make practical use of? In which case it would virtually eliminate most negatives associated with "frankenwatches". At least it would with me. Something like that would be my final guess. Good luck.

13. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agree with Adam on most.
    although, of course wrist watches were around before 1910 my thoughts are that Adam is right on most counts here. I think some enterprising person did take an old hunter pocket/pendant Patek watch movement (and it is indeed very consistent with Patek) and recased it.

Also, you might be interested to learn that Patek, clear up to the 1990's, would take old movements from we collectors and make new cases for them! I had it done several times myself!
    Cheers!
    (I'd love to see the inside back of the case.... any hallmarks or stamps?)