• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Identify

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
Welcome everybody
Does anyone know or heard about cooperation between Junghans and United Clock Company from Furtwangen?I bought clock which you can find attached. I am interesting if it is possible that is original clock or folding box?
I am looking forward any sugestions and opinions.
Thank you in advance

20220118_133743.jpg 20220118_133743.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0127.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0124.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0125.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0126.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0004.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0005.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
United Clock Company from Furtwangen
The trademark that shows on your movement is that of the Union Clock Company of Furtwangen, according to mikrolisk:

1642532388340.png

Without access to the gold standard of German trademarks and German clock history - the Lexikon, by H-H Schmid - the history of the Union Clock Company is a puzzle that needs to be pieced together.

I will try my best.

From Doug Stevenson:

The Union Clock Company of Furtwangen was the follower of a firm founded in 1871 by Augustin Weisser that first made clock cases. It changed to Villing & Fehrenbach in 1882, then Villing & Tränkle in 1883, and then was sold to a British (based) company in 1885 and its name changed to "Union Clock Company". They made less expensive clocks with so-called American (-type) movements sending many to the UK. Had around 300 workers in 1900. Then economic problems, bankrupt once in 1908 and then again in 1910 and out-out with machinery sold to Johann Jäckle. The above based upon the entry in Schmid's _Lexikon_.

From tarant, the 'British (based) company' mentioned above was Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang.

Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang were a 'trading' company, as opposed to a manufacturer, according to H-H Schmid.

Does anyone know or heard about cooperation between Junghans and United Clock Company from Furtwangen?
The relationship between UCC and Junghans will take a bit more research, but we have seen Junghans movements in cases that bore the trademark of Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang.

(1) Can anyone help me identify this clock maker? | NAWCC Forums

So, UCC's owner - Fellheimer , Merzbach & Lang - marketed clocks with Junghans movements.

At this point, I suppose the question is whether the movement in your clock is a Junghans movement with a UCC trademark.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: WojciechBlackforest

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
The trademark that shows on your movement is that of the Union Clock Company of Furtwangen, according to mikrolisk:

View attachment 690945

Without access to the gold standard of German trademarks and German clock history - the Lexikon, by H-H Schmid - the history of the Union Clock Company is a puzzle that needs to be pieced together.

I will try my best.

From Doug Stevenson:

The Union Clock Company of Furtwangen was the follower of a firm founded in 1871 by Augustin Weisser that first made clock cases. It changed to Villing & Fehrenbach in 1882, then Villing & Tränkle in 1883, and then was sold to a British (based) company in 1885 and its name changed to "Union Clock Company". They made less expensive clocks with so-called American (-type) movements sending many to the UK. Had around 300 workers in 1900. Then economic problems, bankrupt once in 1908 and then again in 1910 and out-out with machinery sold to Johann Jäckle. The above based upon the entry in Schmid's _Lexikon_.

From tarant, the 'British (based) company' mentioned above was Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang.

Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang were a 'trading' company, as opposed to a manufacturer, according to H-H Schmid.

The relationship between UCC and Junghans will take a bit more research, but we have seen Junghans movements in cases that bore the trademark of Fellheimer, Merzbach & Lang.

(1) Can anyone help me identify this clock maker? | NAWCC Forums

So, UCC's owner - Fellheimer , Merzbach & Lang - marketed clocks with Junghans movements.

At this point, I suppose the question is whether the movement in your clock is a Junghans movement with a UCC trademark.

Regards.
Dear Sir,
First of all I would like to thank you for your wide response.Your knowledge is impressive.
I will highly appriciated when you help me solve this riddle.
Regarding your last question:do you know correct answer?
Please find attached following photos,maybe you will find some tips.
Thank you so much for all.

IMG-20220117-WA0003.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0126.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0124.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0123.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0122.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0127.jpg IMG-20220117-WA0005.jpg

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
Hello!

The clock doesn't seem to be a marriage, looks authentic.
Thank you for your answer, but how you want to explain that is combine UCC with Junghans?
In Poland some people said thad is
Hello!

The clock doesn't seem to be a marriage, looks authentic.
Thank you for your answer but how we can explain that Junghans is combined with UCC?In Poland some people said: it is folding clock,but other said: that it could be one of the first clock which was produce by Junghans.That is why I trying find some reliable informations.

WojciechBlackforest

Oct 14, 2021
Country
I do not know for sure if the movement is a Junghans movement. I will review some Junghans movements.

The Junghans trademark on the dial was registered in 1890, so we know the clock is not older than that year.

Do you have a picture of the gong bracket?

Regards.
I have to unscrew the mechanism ,i will try do it tomorrow (in Poland we have 10.30 p.m.)
Dial is not ceramic,it is paper.
If you need some other information please do not hesitate write to me,
Thank you for any help.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The marked Junghans movement I could find that most closely resembles your movement is the following:

1642557771459.png

Your movement for comparison:

1642557830504.png

The two movements have many similarities, but also some differences - enough differences to not be able to state conclusively that your movement is an unmarked Junghans movement.

Regards.

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
A lot of information about UCC could be found here: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/identify-uuu-logo.70342/

One thing I noticed is the hands are not original. The hour hand is from Mauthe for example and the minute hand doesn't match the hour hand. It could be possible that there were no connections between UCC and Junghans, simply the dial cracked at some point and was replaced to similar one from J. clock...

Reactions: Darrmann39

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
A lot of information about UCC could be found here: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/identify-uuu-logo.70342/

One thing I noticed is the hands are not original. The hour hand is from Mauthe for example and the minute hand doesn't match the hour hand. It could be possible that there were no connections between UCC and Junghans, simply the dial cracked at some point and was replaced to similar one from J. clock...
That's what I was thinking too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutch Calibre
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-