$ identify watch movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by neil anderson, Jul 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. neil anderson

neil anderson New Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I've just bought a watch movement, and I wondered if you would be able to advise me on the case that was fitted when new, and what case could be used now.
    The watch dial reads The Northern Gold Smiths Co Newcastle Upon Tyne & on the back of the moment reads, Watchmakers to The Lords of the Admiralty.
    The movement measures 20 Lignes x 8mm deep. Serial number 345530.
    The movement is a stem wind pin set.
    I would appreciate any info.
    Regards, Neil.
    P.S. Ive been told it could be a Rotherhams movement.

IMG_20200720_200420.jpg IMG_20200720_194518.jpg

2. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Neil welcome to the forum

I can confirm that it is indeed a Rotherham movement. It is one of their better late movements from the early 1930's A 3/4 plate keyless going barrel jewelled to the third with cap jewels on balance, lever and escape. A single roller lever with a ratchet tooth escape. From the photograph I believe it would have been housed in Dennison swing ring case - it is mounted in the ring. I own a similar movement #343598 by Rotherhams also for the Northern Goldsmiths, mine is housed in a 9K Dennison swing ring case hallmarked Birmingham 1931/32 with the sponsor's stamp {NGCo} although the case was made by Dennison in Birmingham. Rotherhams ceased production in 1934 so your movement will be one of the last they made.

John

3. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are photographs of my example showing the case construction

20200723 001.jpg 20200723 002.jpg 20200723 003.jpg 20200723 004.jpg 20200723 005.jpg

John

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because the watch came from Northern Goldsmiths it probably had a gold case. That will be very costly to replace.

English watches are sized for casing by the Lancashire number system.The case size is the measurement across the dial. 20 Lignes is near to a Lancashire # 18 size. The movement is designed to be in a ring with a cut out for the pendant, an unusual arrangement but all in all good engineering. It is also an unusual ENglish size maost are 14 size. English pendant winding watches typically wind with a bevel gear arrangement which requires very close tolerances to work well.

The set up of this watch and its size make it very unlikely that there are cases around for it now. 16 and 18 were very common American watch sizes and there are of American 16 ad 18 size cases around. The problem is that they all have pendants.

What I would consider doing first is measuring the dial to be sure of the size and getting a nickel, silveroid or similar alloy key wind case and removing its pendant. The case will also need ot be set up for button set. That gets you a case to carry the watch and some experience. You may be able to get a silver or goldsmith to do the work.

Our UK members may be able to recommend people to do this. In the US, I get this kind of work done by local gold jewelry makers who have done very good work for me at very reasonable prices.

5. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Male
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 John Matthews, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    The case will definitely been identical to the one I posted (#3), probably 9K, I am not sure if Dennison made 18K swing ring cases. A previous owner has harvested the gold elements - the case and the bow. My impression is that gold scavengers have become more active recently - depressing.

John

Edit Preistley's 2009 publication on Dennison confirms that 18K swing ring cases were produced