Identify Swiss Watch Maker

waycross48

Jan 14, 2010
I have recently purchased an elegant 18kt gold antique Ladies Watch made in Geneva Switzerland. The watch is 1 1/2 in across (not including the winding stem) Next to the winding stem is a tiny pin that must be depressed in order to set the time. The front cover of the watch has an oval of about 7/8 inch with a lovely enameled picture of a young woman. She has three small diamonds in her hair. Over her head and draping around her face is a lace shawl hand painted in gold. Over the hand painting are enameled roses accenting her face. The entire outer surface of the watch is covered with delicate engraving. Inside the back cover is a second inside cover which has several engravings in French as well as the numbers 2183 (both back covers have this serial number engraved). The first engraving reads "Remontoir du Pendant", the second is - Ancre Ligne Droite - ( I was told that the first two phrases refer to the type of movement in the watch.) then the maker's name written in Olde English - the first letter is difficult to read in this font but it's either a "C" or a "G" Cothenin. I've Googled this name but all I come up with is Constant Cothenin-Girard, a Swedish watch maker from around 1845 to the Turn of the Century - BUT, I was told he did not make watches in Geneva and I find no evidence that he marked his watches with only the Cothenin surname - but rather he used Girard. So, I'm at a loss as to who this maker is. This watch is extremely well made and even the movement is quite lovely. The jewels are rubies. This is an amazing quality watch. It runs beautifully and keeps perfect time. It has the look and feel of a quality timepiece. I would love to know about the maker, thus helping to date the watch. It was sold as an 18kt gold 1800's antique Ladies Watch, purchased from a shop that deals exclusively in estate jewelry. Thank you

astonvilla

Jun 3, 2001
Country
I am sure the name on your watch should be C Othenin.
His name was " Constant Othenin-Girard " (1825-1903).
He married Marie Perregaux in 1854 (the daughter of a well know chronometer maker) , and took her surname as well as his own.
Then he also changed his company name to Girard Perregaux .
"Remontoir au pendant" means " winding with the pendant".
One can find this engraving on watches from the period when watchmakers started using winding crowns , instead of have to use a key. (1850-1860).
Many of these watches had Lecoultres winding mechanism.
Some pictures of your watch would be helpful (also a pic. of the movement).

H Sandstrom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Time Repair
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre