identify pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by clocksiam, May 20, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clocksiam

clocksiam Registered User

Aug 24, 2006
    South Caroina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can anyone identify this pocket watch?
    Tony

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks to be an 18th century English pair-cased verge fusee, but that is only based on the one picture that shows up for me. What does it say on the dial besides "LONDON"? There were continental watches that were sometimes marked London, too. Have you had it open? A photo of the movement and the case hallmarks would help us to tell you more.

3. clocksiam

Aug 24, 2006
    South Caroina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    more pictures of pocket watch

I loaded three pictures before and only one is showing. So i will try to add a few more...

Tony

Attached Files:

4. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: more pictures of pocket watch

To date your watch wwe need close ups of the Maks in the back of the case. There should be THREE.

C. Charleson, London Verge Fuzee in a pair case. Unusual Pilars between the plates. Great Skeletonizing. A Masters Piece.

5. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: more pictures of pocket watch

Tony,

Brian Loomes has a C Charleson listed as working in London 1720..That date would correspond with the movement detail.. and the dial style..Does it run ?? it appears that the balance staff may be broken.. A very nice example of early English watchmaking..

6. clocksiam

Aug 24, 2006
    South Caroina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    markings on watch case

7. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    If you cannot get a good, clear picture of the hallmarks, then you will have to read them yourself.

First you need to identify the city of assay. You say a dog, but I suspect you mean a leopard's head for London. Go to http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html and look at the city hallmarks. London is a leopard's head that varied over time. Birmingham is an anchor. Chester is three shocks of hay.

Once you have identified the city, then you look for the letter. You said a lower case "g". The style of the letter matters, because there are enough letters to cover very many years. A given letter stands for a different date depending on the city of assay. For example, a lower case g could mean 1742 in London assay, 1804 in Birmingham (did not start until 1773), or 1775 in Chester. For London and Birmingham, I like this site http://www.horologia.co.uk/hallmarks1.html The images of very clear.

Finally you compare the style of the watch with the hallmark of the case. Your watch is clearly pre-1750. This leads me to the 1742 date.

A really great book on dating English watch cases is "Watch case makers of England - A history of gold and silver watch case makers of England:1720-1920" by Philip Priestley. I tis a NAWCC Bulletin Supplement (20) and only cost $4.50 at the NAWCC Gift Shop. Even less for members. With over 200 great pages, it is hard to beat. The book also lists the case makers and their marks. Unfortunately, there is no record of RX for London.

Don

8. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is all guess work at the moment, but based on the info you have given about the hallmarks I would certainly go with London 1742-43. Loomes says C Charleson was know to be working around 1720, but that doesn't mean he was not still at work in the early 1740s.

The RX is probably the casemaker, but there is no English surname starting with an "X". Could it possibly be RY? There is a Ralph Yeomans registered at the London assay office in 1736. That date -would fit with the 1742-43 hallmark.

Beautiful movement and dial!

Jerry

9. clocksiam

Aug 24, 2006
    South Caroina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, it is probably RY, very small embossing and hard to read. The initial is a lower case g, and the animal is most likely a leopard. There is one other embossing in the case, which could be the tax stamp, but we cannot discern what it is.

Thanks to all for your research...very helpful and interesting.
    Tony
    Clocksiam