Identify Manufacturer, Age, Rarity of 'Winding Without Key' Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by timeless1, May 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    I would very much appreciate any help in identifying the MANUFACTURER, AGE, RARITY of this pocket watch. The movement and case have the same serial number, "34991".

The cuvette cover is marked, "WINDING WITHOUT KEY"; the winding keys are fold-down.

The case has 2 hallmarks inside the rear cover; "ARGENT (with a Chevron patter) and "FM (O or C?)" over "N" inside a box outline. The outer covers have detailed engravings of a train and sailing ships.

The enameled dial has a cutout to the lower half of the subsidiary seconds register, with a lower 'rotating' enamel disc with a train engine and passenger car motif.

2xGd+5n4QwG0oWBBXPHcvA_thumb_31b4.jpg 3EKeVpw2R5yZXWRY4uGqBQ_thumb_31a0.jpg adXFWUWjS4Ou6Vpk8kWeNA_thumb_31b3.jpg LktoMiPfTcOZ6X8RM13vFA_thumb_31ad.jpg Pxbw%vLVQmGQCL83akjHew_thumb_31a2.jpg UBBObSoUQUS+qm%7gK2FuA_thumb_31b0.jpg ykr1smk7RCerTSigGLxcHw_thumb_31af.jpg

2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I've never seen one like it :?| ... but I'll bet Enrico has ...

I have seen that winding key (but only as a modification to the original watch) and I've never seen it used at a hand setter. I've never seen a seconds dial like tnhat. I've never seen the word "argent" (French for silver) used in conjunction with what appears to be a Neuchatel chevron assay mark (and that combination seems suspicious to me), and I've never seen that maker's mark (FMx in a rhombus) and nor has Mikrolisk as far as I can find.

So is it rare? I think it is, depending on what you mean by "rare" :)

3. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Marty and Enrico for your replies; they are much appreciated! It was exciting to see another watch that is very similar, the case has the same markings with a serial number of '30xxx' ; the other has a Swiss bar movement and I have a suspicion that this movement might have been modified to change it from a 'Swiss Bar' to adding the bottom plate, it just looks to 'crude' to have been an original plate, with someone adding an obviously NOT original 'damaskeening' (if you can call it that!).