Identify German Clock, Please

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Purchased this German clock in the 1970's for my parents, and now it lives with me. I've always though is was a Mauthe, but recently while servicing the movement, half a name was found and some numbers. Stamped into the rear movement plate is "xxUNGSCHLAG" where the first letter(s) are missing. Then serial number "89498", and in another place "45/100". It has the clean, classic lines of the Arts and Crafts Movement, so I always assumed it was made between 1900 and 1915.

The stamping may refer to the city of Jungschlag, the location of the factory, and not the maker. The gong mount is labeled "Adler Gong". Those are the only 3 words on the clock.

Due to a growing collection, this clock will soon be going to one of my sons, so I'd like to type up a full description to include with the clock. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Mau5.jpg Mau4.jpg Mau3.jpg Mau2.jpg Mau1.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Schlag is the German word for strike, so I assume the missing letters in front of the word is an indication of the strike - 14 day or silent strike, etc. The missing letters could also be Gongschlag (Gong strike)

Can you show a picture of the front of the movement and a picture of the gong bracket?

Regards.

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The Adler (eagle) gong is a trademark of Mauthe.

I also agree with your dating - pre-WWI.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller