Identify Age & Rarity of French ACHILLE BROCOT Statue Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by timeless1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

I would very much appreciate any help in identifying the AGE of this French made time / bell strike statue clock.
    I inherited the clock from my father who purchased it in the 1960's. After reading the Brocot article on this site I presume the clock was made by 'Louis-Achille Brocot', presumed in Paris? The clock movement has a LOW serial number, "78" of "88", the first digit is double stamped; stamped at the bottom of the rear plate is "6 - 4, Brocot, Brevette".
    I do have the original bell and presumed original pendulum.

I read in the Brocot article that, "In order to commercially exploit his original designs, together with Jean-Baptiste Delettrez he (Achille Brocot) established the clockmaking company "Brocot & Delettrez" in Paris on 20 October 1851, a partnership that would continue until his death." Do you think that this clock is made in or prior to 1851? Also the article states that this 'Brocot' stamp on this movement is 'RARE'. Is that because there were NOT many made with this stamp before the company name changed?

The name on the dial is "JACQUET LACARRIERE & DAGRIN, R.DU PETIT CARREAU 18"; is this name perhaps a retailer?

The clock has a stamp on the inside of the case, presumed to be the case maker; it is illegible to me. The clock is presumed black slate, the statue does NOT appear to be bronze (from the color) - although the quality of the casting (finger nails, clothing) details are impressive. I see NO markings / signature on the statue.

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

7HOziqaWQVW7ZeDo8QRpvw_thumb_3da7.jpg 065QugJlQBaRn4GMlLjSZA_thumb_3d9c.jpg AmO6LH+PSHqqDbJyQ%ZI8w_thumb_3d9f.jpg Ew8r4ebLSsquEo5GQ2F+Cg_thumb_3da5.jpg g6ip%oQcTHSPFRuS%0n0bw_thumb_3d9e.jpg q%cDLnSBSmm7O3ZvU6ZnGA_thumb_3da8.jpg qEiuFwymR5GiS+c0%lkLKw_thumb_3d9b.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am not sure, but I think the stamp on the case may read: rue de Ménilmontant, No. 6, Haut Marais. Haut Marais is a district of Paris. At the moment I have not been able to decipher the name of the company.

You are right about the name on the dial, this is doubtless the retailer.

JTD

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you haven't google JACQUET LACARRIERE & DAGRIN, a couple of entries in French come up, one in an almanac of 1847 and another in what is I think a legal journal from 1840 but my French is dire. I can't find them listed in any source I have but I agree they would be the retailer.

Brocot Brevette afaik is a patent registration mark as opposed to a maker's mark and I would think refers to the suspension adjustment and suggests a patent still applied. It is thought the use of Brocot's suspension was not widespread until the patent expired whereupon it had no cost, probably from around 1850 or so. It is possible therefore that this movement was made by someone other than Brocot. One or two numbers at the base of the backplate denotes the pendulum length on French movements as in 6 and 4/12 French inches.

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    If you are able to get a better photo of the mark inside your case, it may be possible to identify who the case maker is - the name is obscured in your photo. This, if lucky, might help narrow down the date range further. Other than that, as as been pointed out above, you have a nice clock with a movement that has a Brocot patent adjuster, and may have been made by Brocot himself, or by another maker who had licensed the patent.

5. timeless1

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much for your insights and information! Clocks can be a mystery!! I took a couple more pictures of the presumed case maker's mark on the inside bottom of the case; I thought perhaps there might be another stamp on the inside of the top of the case (which I never looked at before). I found a 'signature' on the inside top of the case; unfortunately the clarity of the writing (presumed ink) onto the stone is not the best.

Thank you Jonathan, I looked at the presumed same 1840 article on Google and used Google Translate to try and understand a portion of it;
    "1840 - JOURNAL OF JURISPRUDENCE AND JUDICIAL DEBATES ...
    In a double act in Paris, under special conditions May 25, 1840, registered;
    Between Jean-Baptiste JACQUET LACARRIÈRE, merchant, residing in Paris, rue du Petit Carreau, 18, and Jean DAGRIN, clerk, residing in Paris, rue Montorgueil, 108."
    I believe this would confirm the name on the dial as the retailer.

Thanks also for the information that the Brocot stamp does NOT guarantee that he is the maker.

Much appreciated!

76EWr6YOS1W7YOWlX6M02g_thumb_47f8.jpg b0Wlfk9kRimeLhv3eVBJdw_thumb_47f9.jpg EHMtqYzYRean8RS%F++o7g_thumb_3dab.jpg KuLd+snXTT2ajQfhmkIp7A_thumb_3dac.jpg

6. timeless1

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also noticed when I removed the bell that it was signed (picture attached)! I would guess, "Delarue"; perhaps the original owner??

88CIpMjvTvSUx6tx7ctIKg_thumb_47fa.jpg