Identify Age / Manufacturer Private Label Pocket Watch Movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by timeless1, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timeless1

timeless1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 timeless1, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Hi,
    I would very much appreciate any help in identifying the actual MANUFACTURER / Country of Manufacture and AGE of this pocket watch movement. The movement is serial number, "54715". The name on the movement is
    N. P. Kilburn; I found on the Internet that in August, 1862, he came to Corry, PA and was the first jeweler in the town. He sold his business in 1874.
    The movement is 43mm diameter, as measure just below the upper lip. I presume the movement is 21 jewels.

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

%Cau1H5HQ2quQ5tce5lLsQ_thumb_3b81.jpg E2rYV4z1QeOYbFUUZEuX+g_thumb_3b7f.jpg NUPVGy0NQuiXk6XPZSsDVw_thumb_3b82.jpg qHQYjm8+Ts2fHVgxwpIS8A_thumb_3b80.jpg qY+E3v1VRYmYdM3Vatqacg_thumb_3b83.jpg Vgj5F0KySGejiWZ+094wrw_thumb_3b84.jpg

2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was a very high grade movement certainly 20 jewels possible 21. Date would be mid 1870's. Maker? I can rule out many but ot looks a tl like Jurgensen stuff so it was made by the same people, possibly Piquet in Brassus

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Can you describe the escape wheel teeth? They look strange to me.

4. timeless1

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    Thank you for the information you provided! There is NO cap jewel for the balance staff on the top plate, so presumed 20 jewels. I have included a close up picture of the escape wheel area after removing the bridge; presumed you are seeing an addition to the pallet fork that extends to either side of the escape wheel (I am not sure what it is for?).

mH2dg8%rSiihjn+s5Fseiw_thumb_3b85.jpg

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Balance is capped. Usually a 20 jewel watch has no jewel in teh dial side of the center wheel. Yours probably does because the the cannon pinion is on a pin through the center wheel.

escape wheel has recessed hub, or as I prefer to call it raised tip teeth, a very high grade feature and very nice decoration of the lever counter poise.

Interesting that a watch of this quality s not marked "Adjusted"

6. timeless1

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the great information and some new terminology for me!