• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Identify a clock trade mark

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country
Typical oak 1930's case. Anyone recognize the maker? Pinecone with a branch and B.O

pinecone clock.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Typical oak 1930's case. Anyone recognize the maker? Pinecone with a branch and B.O

View attachment 692235
According to mikrolisk, the pinecone with 'R' on the left and 'Co' on the right, is the trademark of Rominger & Cie., which was the first name of URGOS.

The firm was founded in Schwenningen in 1920 by Christian Haller, Johannes Jauch, Robert Papst (or Pabst), and Johannes Rominger as "Rominger & Cie GmbH." Rominger drops out in 1923, whereupon the firm name is changed to "Urgos" which stands for the "Uhren und Gongfabrik Schwenningen," also known as Haller, Jauch & Pabst. Courtesy Doug Stevenson.

Since this is an early trademark of URGOS, your clock may be older than the 1930s. Pictures may help in dating the clock.

Regards.

Reactions: Yahagi

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country
According to mikrolisk, the pinecone with 'R' on the left and 'Co' on the right, is the trademark of Rominger & Cie., which was the first name of URGOS.

The firm was founded in Schwenningen in 1920 by Christian Haller, Johannes Jauch, Robert Papst (or Pabst), and Johannes Rominger as "Rominger & Cie GmbH." Rominger drops out in 1923, whereupon the firm name is changed to "Urgos" which stands for the "Uhren und Gongfabrik Schwenningen," also known as Haller, Jauch & Pabst. Courtesy Doug Stevenson.

Since this is an early trademark of URGOS, your clock may be older than the 1930s. Pictures may help in dating the clock.

Regards.
Thanks for looking but it looks like B and O, Not R and Co. The logo is very faint.

Attached are more photos

IMG_6766.JPG IMG_6767.JPG

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
I had such a mechanism. And I even knew who its producer was, but unfortunately I didn't write down the name :)
and I sold the mechanism. But it probably wasn't URGOS.
There is a B, and behind the cone it is probably a circle, not a letter.
Here are my photos.

B1.jpg B4.jpg B5.jpg

Reactions: new2clocks

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Just for the record, the Rominger trademark is as follows:

1643216591435.png

By the looks of your clock, I estimate it to be from more from the 1920s than the 1930s, regardless of the trademark.

Regards,

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
So it is in the microlisc.
Only 'R' fits Rominger.
And here is the letter B ....

(?)

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
So it is in the microlisc.
Only 'R' fits Rominger.
And here is the letter B ....

(?)
Yahagi,

In the OP's picture, the symbol on the right of the pinecone appears to be the letter 'o' inside the letter 'C'. If correct, this would be an abbreviation for "Company" or "Cie". And, it is very similar to the mikrolisk picture.

The letter to the left of the pinecone in your picture is a 'B'. The top and bottom of your "B" is flat, as would be expected. The OP's letter to the left of the pinecone is flat on the top but rounded on the bottom and the OP's 'B' does not quite complete the 'B'. Perhaps it is an optical illusion based on the OP's movement's need for a cleaning. As a result, in the OP's picture, the letter to the left of the pinecone could be considered (or at least I considered) the letter 'R'. :?|:?|

If we agree that the symbol to the right of the pinecone is the letter 'o' inside a 'C', and the letter to the left of the pinecone is a 'B', would the mystery trademark belong to Burkhardt & Cie.? Just my wild guess.

Regards.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
new2clocks
:)

Very nice idea with that 'o' in 'C' ('Co.'). :) Sincere appreciation for ingenuity.

It could be like that, only from what I remember - 90% of it was rather a 'circle'. Back then, when I had the mechanism in my hand, that struck me because it didn't look like a letter. This is strange signature ...

As you probably already know - clocks from this period are not my passion. I remember looking at it closely and even figuring something out, but I didn't write down what. I don't know if the conclusions were good.

I do not know if in this case the 'microlisc' is right.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
new2clocks
:)

Very nice idea with that 'o' in 'C' ('Co.'). :) Sincere appreciation for ingenuity.

It could be like that, only from what I remember - 90% of it was rather a 'circle'. Back then, when I had the mechanism in my hand, that struck me because it didn't look like a letter. This is strange signature ...

As you probably already know - clocks from this period are not my passion. I remember looking at it closely and even figuring something out, but I didn't write down what. I don't know if the conclusions were good.

I do not know if in this case the 'microlisc' is right.
I found a movement with the 'R Co' pinecone trademark listed in mikrolisk.

1643230681636.png

1643230724407.png

One contributor to that thread surmised that the 'R' could be a 'B'.

(1) Help to Identify Clock Trademark | NAWCC Forums

I will cross-reference the mikrolisk trademark onto that thread.

Regards.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
Maybe you're right. I don't insist, I don't have this mechanism anymore. I also have no better photos.
I thought there was a 'wheel' there, but maybe it was different.
The signature is unusual and very interesting.

From the front, this mechanism looked like this:

B3.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Maybe you're right. I don't insist, I don't have this mechanism anymore. I also have no better photos.
I thought there was a 'wheel' there, but maybe it was different.
The signature is unusual and very interesting.

From the front, this mechanism looked like this:

View attachment 692339
Yahagi, I am not stating that I am correct. The trademark on your movement has the 'B' and the mikrolisk trademark shows 'R'. The Lexikon confirms that the 'R' trademark belongs to Rominger & Cie. (Courtesy JTD)

I find it very interesting that we have two trademarks, each very similar to the other, except one uses the letter 'B' to the left of the trademark and the other trademark uses the letter 'R'.

As you said, unusual and very interesting.

Regards.

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
I think maybe the description is good, but the error is in the graphic on 'mikrolisk.de'. There are people there too, and maybe something needs to be improved.

These things happen after all. See the signature:

she is described as Gustav Becker. And I think this is a mistake. I have not met such a signature yet. I think it's not GB but CB.

GB_ERR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-