Identification on Ladies Philippe Watch

Gotabecoolman

Jun 8, 2021
Country
I found this watch at a yard sale for $1. Picked it up cause it looked vintage and still worked. Turns out the case is 18kt which is a nice $150 in melt. But I'm more curious about the maker, search results are flooded with Patek watches due to them having the same spelling. I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether this is a Adrien Philippe (I thought it would be too modern), or a lesser known German company. Would be nice to know whether to scrap it or send it to an auction house as well as knowing the origin of the company. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20210608_134834846.jpg IMG_20210608_134845685.jpg IMG_20210608_134922135.jpg IMG_20210608_134929256.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
It's a watch that is capable of keeping time. It has a quite legible and interesting dial. Perhaps wind it up and wear it?
Being non-shockproof it isn't a practical watch for workaday wear and tear nor is a gold case suitable as a work watch for outdoor work. If the movement can be identified then maybe a shockprotected version can be found that fits the dial and case.

Everyone seems to want to scrap the gold cases but in reality the price of gold isn't going to come down so keeping them isn't a bad investment.
From your comment about $150 in melt, it would seem that you believe there is profit in that.

Gotabecoolman

Jun 8, 2021
Country
It's a watch that is capable of keeping time. It has a quite legible and interesting dial. Perhaps wind it up and wear it?
Being non-shockproof it isn't a practical watch for workaday wear and tear nor is a gold case suitable as a work watch for outdoor work. If the movement can be identified then maybe a shockprotected version can be found that fits the dial and case.

Everyone seems to want to scrap the gold cases but in reality the price of gold isn't going to come down so keeping them isn't a bad investment.
From your comment about $150 in melt, it would seem that you believe there is profit in that.
Well I did pay $1 for it. I'm not a watch wearer or collector, I guess I was more concerned that I might ruin a potentially rare watch that a collector would want. Hell if someone wanted the movement and case I'd sell if for melt.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Philippe Watch - Henri Stern Watch Agency Inc. handel, Small watches - New York, USA - registered on 20.1.1958

Amicalement GG

Reactions: Gotabecoolman

Gotabecoolman

Jun 8, 2021
Country
Hi,
Philippe Watch - Henri Stern Watch Agency Inc. handel, Small watches - New York, USA - registered on 20.1.1958

Amicalement GG
Thank you, this seems to be the most accurate and detailed answer I've gotten. And it seems to match about the date I figured it was made.

Gotabecoolman

Jun 8, 2021
Country
So, have you used magnification to see if there is a calibre number on the movement?
So many of these movements were very similar and are difficult to pin down unless one has the movement in their hands.
The only marks on one of the gears i see is P.W. Extra *star* EXTRA *star*

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
That's all I could read from your photograph but if you can peer under the balance using a loupe, can you see an ebauche maker stamp and a caliber number?
They are not always under the balance. Sometimes you need to take the dial off.
Of course none of this matters to you if you are scrapping the watch but it may matter to someone who actually happens to be looking for parts or a working movement.

Gotabecoolman

Jun 8, 2021
Country
That's all I could read from your photograph but if you can peer under the balance using a loupe, can you see an ebauche maker stamp and a caliber number?
They are not always under the balance. Sometimes you need to take the dial off.
Of course none of this matters to you if you are scrapping the watch but it may matter to someone who actually happens to be looking for parts or a working movement.
I cant see anything else, I'm not an expert in putting things back together, pretty good at taking them apart though. I think I found a guy that wants the movement and the case.

Reactions: roughbarked

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
For some reasons Arogno 156 seems fitting. Certain features point this way.
From David Boettcher's site;
Manzoni Arogno
The centre bridge of this movement is very distinct, with its long slim finger on the right hand end. The ébauche was made by Manzoni, later part of "Fabriques d'Ébauches Réunies d'Arogno".
The only other watchmaker in contention for the design could likely be A. Michel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotabecoolman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaizun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller