Identification help

RyanM

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2019
Country
Region
I know I've seen these type of watches before but can't for the life of me remember where. I got two of these along with a movement I actually wanted for a really good price, so I don't mind if they end up being nothing special, I'm just curious if they are worth casing or not.

Here's a pic of one, I believe it is 6s. The dial gives no help, just numbers, tick marks, and hands, which as I was just noticing are moving, at least the second hand was moving for a few ticks. That's good as I purchased all three as not working. Anyway, here it is:

20190612_202916.jpg

RyanM

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2019
Country
Region
As an update, I examined the other one in more detail. The only mark under the dial was the same serial number, under the train plate there was the serial number and what I assume was a part number. The dial is a press sunk type, not a true cut and solder sunk. The dial feet have a strange unlocking method where the feet protrude through the plate and a nearby screw has a washer-like protrusion with a notch, the washer part locks the feet and the notch allows the feet to slide out. They seem fairly well put together, the one I examined has 15 jewels that I counted.

I found where I thought I saw one before, however what I recalled turned out to be a case serial number off an F. Schneider watch which had a Swiss movement that looks nothing like mine.

I copied the serial number and went through every manufacturer in the pocket watch database with no luck, of course there were many of the rarer manufacturers where there was no data given, so I can't rule out that this is an American made watch. I've thumbed through my copy of the Complete Price Guide to Watches and came up with nothing in either American or European watches aside from that the serial number looks more European than American.

I'm starting to think these are Swiss fakes, but I'll post them in the European pocket watch forum as well, just to see if they are possibly European.

Last edited by a moderator:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Swiss watch
Moved this thread to European section for better identification.

Rob

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ryan,

This method of securing the dial is standard on most older Swiss movements, apart from the much higher grade pieces which have snap-on dials and the later ones which have screws in the edge of the plate bearing on the posts.

Trying to find any meaning in the serial numbers on these anonymous Swiss movements is a fruitless exercise if you don't know who made them, and even if you did establish that, the ledgers in which they may once have been recorded have long since vanished.

The plate decoration does hint that it was intended for the US market, but since the one you show doesn't have a signature it can't really be regarded as a fake.

Regards,

Graham

RyanM

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2019
Country
Region
I suspected it was a Swiss fake. Most unsigned movements are and these had some low quality features, like the press sunk dials. I'd still argue that it is a Swiss fake, as it tries to capture the look and feel of an American watch and is not marked Swiss. It was obviously made after the US Congress passed the law where movements must be marked with country of origin, so again, deceptive and for the time illegal.

All good, even if I didn't get these, I still got the movement I was after for a great deal.

Thanks for the help!

Kinpol

Aug 31, 2010
Poland
Country
Is it possible to take off the main barell bridge? Sorry for my English, but under the bridge could be the signature...

RyanM

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2019
Country
Region
Is it possible to take off the main barell bridge? Sorry for my English, but under the bridge could be the signature...
I did, there is nothing there.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeman77
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool