Identification Help

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by chris0583, Jul 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chris0583

chris0583 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Country Flag:
    My very old neighbor has asked me to help him identify an old pocket watch he has. He did not tell me where or how he came into possession of this watch but he did tell me that it is very expensive. It is a wind up watch with two keys. Unit keeps time well and seems to work perfectly. After about 3 hours of research i think i am half way there. Can someone help me the rest of the way? Is there more information i should get than what i have below? I took a few pictures with my iphone.

Movement : Robert Roskell
    Movement S/N : 7888
    Made in : London
    Watch Manufacture : :???:
    Date of Manufacture : :???:?
    Estimate Cost : :???:??

View attachment 349887 View attachment 349888 View attachment 349889 View attachment 349890 View attachment 349891 View attachment 349892 View attachment 349893

2. chris0583

chris0583 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Country Flag:
    another Picture
    View attachment 349897

3. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #3 musicguy, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    I'm not saying this is a fake, but I did some research
    and there are apparently many of these Robert Roskell's out there that are "swiss fakes"
    Someone else who has real knowledge will be able to
    tell you more. I do hope it's real for your friends sake.

Swiss fake

Rob

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 MrRoundel, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    It's a somewhat interesting watch, due to the minor skeletonizing, but not one that speaks anything to me about being an expensive watch.

I realize that budgets vary, etc., but the case looks lower-grade, the movement looks dressed-up marginal, and the movement and dial reminds me of a T.F. Cooper "Railway Timekeeper" that I have the the permanently disassembled state. This may not be the case if I thought it was valuable.

I could be wrong, but my experience tells me that these are not great watches in the past or now. That doesn't say that they couldn't keep good time. That I don't know. I do know that my "Railroad Timekeeper" would never have been accepted as a railroad-grade anywhere that I know of. My movement is marked "T.F. Cooper, Liverpool", FWIW. Mine is surely a fake when it comes to it being a true railroad timekeeper. Good luck to you and your neighbor.

BTW: I'd guess that the watch was made between the 1890's and 1920, probably around the turn of the century. Aside from general terms, values can't be discussed here. As to who may have made it, I have no idea. It looks like it may have been an ebauche (Partially assembled watch sold to be private-labeled.) that wasn't uncommon. However, being of, and in, the States, my knowledge of British (marked) timepieces, especially those made in Switzerland, is quite limited.

5. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd like to correct the name of my T.F. Cooper watch to a "Railway Time Keeper", not "Railroad Timekeeper".

6. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I also think that the movement is Swiss, and that it is unlikely even to have been retailed by Roskell. If I am right, then that would make it a fake.

The case is seemingly made for the American market, maybe even made in America, and I see no evidence that it is made of solid gold ... which almost certainly would have been if this were an expensive watch.