Identification Help, Please

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Ethan Lipsig, Jul 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Ethan Lipsig, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    I have a reasonable quality unsigned Swiss pocket watch in an exceptional two-tone or three-tone 18k case. The case has what I understand to be English import hallmarks for London 1927. It also has a "hammer" stamping and another stamping that looks like a weird crab leg. I am hoping that someone can identify the case maker from those marks. I would also be interested in learning the maker of the watch movement or at least its ebauche.

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ethan,

I think you're right about London 1927, and I believe that what you describe as a "crab claw" is the rather rubbed sponsor's mark for George Stockwell, described in Priestley as a "Foreign Agent" at 16/18 Finsbury Street in London. There's some information here on the hammer mark. I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the movement though.

Regards,

Graham