NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Country
Region
New Haven Front.png New Haven Back.png New Haven Stamp.png

Hi All-

I have a tandem-wind New Haven balance wheel movement, but do not understand why it is designed as it is. The "front" looks fairly typical, except there are no winding arbors. The minute arbor extends out the "back", but has no method to connect anything to the long shaft (short of a set screw collar). There is an "hour" cannon on the back. The "back" also has the winding arbors.

How was this clock used? What connects to these features on the "back"? In what kind of case would this movement be found?

Many thanks for any help with this!

-Randy

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My initial thought is that it's a double wind time only movement. It does not appear to anything but a clock (time keeping movement).

tinkerer1359

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Country
Region
View attachment 544814
View attachment 544815

Agreed, it seems to be a time-only, tandem-wind movement. But the "minute" arbor coming off the back would rotate counter-clockwise, as would its "hour" cannon. Since the length of the rear arbor is quite long, and does not have any screw threads or hole for securing a hand (and it would be going backwards anyway), what is its original purpose?

That the winding arbors are on the side that does not easily support hand mountings confuses me greatly.

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
I'd wager that the long shaft on the back was for setting the time when it was installed on a case where the hands were not accessible.

Reactions: Dave T

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
In the early days, barbers liked backward running clocks in their shops so customers looking in the mirror could also read the time. There are quite a few backward movements out there yet, and you can even get backward running quartz if you want one.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjs3
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool