Idenification

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Richard H, Aug 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Registered User

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No name on clock. Says Germany on the dial. Matches Holovar plate1456 well. Made the spring based on the book drawing and realized it seems to be short. Used a .0025 spring. The clock runs for about 20 minutes then the swing is so short it stops.

Completely cleaned everything including the main spring.

Three questions...

1- The name of this clock
    2- Spring thickness
    3- Spring length

20190819_174510.jpg 20190819_174907.jpg 20190819_175030.jpg

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't know if there's a specific name, but there are other clocks made by Schatz which are called "coach" clocks. This one has the same style. Yours is likely made by M. Reiner.

I think you've found the right back plate, so the suspension spring of 0.0025" is probably right. Or it could be plate 1457...the lettering seem shifted slight to the right so maybe it matches better. Plate 1457 has a spring of 0.0028". But the spring thickness wouldn't necessarily make the clock stop, it would just create the situation where you couldn't regulate the clock to keep proper time. The main spring is 16mm wide for a 36mm barrel...the total length per the book is 1039mm and is 0.46mm thick.

As for stopping in 20 minutes, could be the clock is not in beat. Could be the for is positioned to high. Could be that the fork is too tight around the anchor pin. Could be that there's too much friction in the going train. As has been discussed here before, the miniature/midget clocks are so close on power that just about any excess friction will stop the clock.

Kurt

3. Richard H

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Kurt

I guess the real question is if I would have ordered the spring, assembled, based on the 1465 plate #, it would have come short. I made mine based on the Holovar drawing.

Should I just make another, but longer? It could be 3/4 inch longer and the pendulum would still not touch the bottom.

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally, I would make it longer. I like the pendulum tip to be in the cup, or at least be near the cup so it can be used to check the level of the clock base. Kurt is correct about all the things that could stop the clock from working. Getting them in beat is number one on the list.

5. Richard H

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Update: Clock is running. The ratchet gear on the spring winder was bound up. Replaced and it runs continually. Replaced the spring with a .0028 and made it longer so the pendulum fits in the cup. Beat is set.

Runs slower than before. I thought it was maybe supposed to run at 6 BPM as that where it was close to. The rotation is over 420 degrees with at least an inch and a half of over swing. Needless to say after 4 hours I realized it was not a 6 BPM clock as the time was really behind.

So frustrating not being able to even find a picture or name of this clock. Adjusting the fork up and down, moving the weights out and in, best I can get is 7.4 BPM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The repair guide does say 8 beats per minute. But my fuzzy memory says there are some clocks that have some oddball BPM. Can't remember now. Might be some other clock.

Kurt

7. Richard H

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    At 6 BPM it is really slow. I had to modify my spring assemble fixture as this is the longest spring I have ever make.

The clock looks similar to "Coach Clocks" except it is considerably larger standing almost 12" high.

I guess logic says I need a stronger spring. Never had a clock with this much rotation or over swing.

8. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some clocks just have their own idea about what size spring will work. I agree you should try a thicker spring.

9. Richard H

Feb 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Clock is up and keeping time. With the help of Chris at Holovar installed a .0032 spring and all is well. Still had to made it longer than usual, but it works. Thank to everyone who contributed!!

10. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to hear it all worked out.