ID two clocks?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I managed to snap photos of these two clocks. Unfortunately, this is all I could get - no backplates pics.

The smaller clock (I think it was miniature size), has a GB logo on the dial which is severely crazed, with pieces falling out. The disc pendulum appears to have a shaft. I don't know if this is just a detached spring guard. There is no gallery on the pendulum and I can't see anything like it in the Horolovar book. The base appears to be timber.

The bandstand clock is massive. I'd estimate the dome to be about 40cm+ tall and 20-25cm diameter. Pendulum looks similar to #28 ("Badische"), but with no apparent regulator disc.

Is it possible to accurately ID either of them from these shots?

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attachments

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hi Andy,

I've recorded 3 examples of the Becker you've shown. Numbers 2172 and 2435 were posted somewhere on this message board, and 2392 sold on ebay last year. The one you've shown has the correct pendulum, and if it has the suspension guard it looks like it's all there. The dial is painted by the way, so it's restorable.

I would guess that the Louvre clock has a Huber lantern pinion movement and bears the "Crescent B" stamp of Badische. I've recorded 2 examples that are nearly identical.

The regulating disk for the ball pendulum shown is in the center of the pendulum (like Clock 61 in section 6 of the repair guide). That pendulum is not shown in section 13.

Eric

Last edited:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Good call on both of these, Eric.

The GB is model No. 507 as illustrated in a 1928 GB sale catalog. No. 2172 is the earliest of these I have documented, made right at the end of 1927. The highest serial number so far is 2435 that you have mentioned, made about mid-1928. Very evidently only a few of these were made, perhaps as few as 100-150, so very collectible if you can find one. The pendulum with the clock is correct and original, may have the serial number scribed under the disc.

The Louvre model would be as Eric describes although the back plate may or may not have the BUF logo stamp. Would have been made in the early to mid 1920's.

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thank you both.

These are interstate and I have to establish (1) if they are for sale, (2) if I can afford them and (3) if they can be delivered to WA unbroken and at a reasonable price. I have my doubts about all those things :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Az425
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent