ID Help with Composite Movement Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Duane Deppen, Nov 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duane Deppen

Duane Deppen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I am hoping someone can help me ID this clock. I bought it from a woman who said it may have been in the family since it was built. She traced it back as far as 1820 and a great, great grandfather A. G. Taylor from the Pittsburgh area. Dial has a partial label with his name.

It has a composite movement that I can't find in any pictures. The base is die-stamped with what appears to be the initials ID on the front and a geometric pattern on the rear. The same pattern is stamped on the brass straps.

I will add pictures for your viewing pleasure:

clock1.jpg dial.jpg 11.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg Pendulum.jpg

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your pics show a black forest type movement in a -probably American made - case.These movements and shield dials were manufactured in a kind of cottage industry with many different jobs during the 19th cent. in the Black Forest region of south-west Germany and exported throughout the world. The little stamp front side of the lower board is probably that of the maker of the cage,the so called G´stellmacher . I´d put the movement slightly later , ca 1860-1880 because the moving parts -wheels and arbors- are all metal. The movement should be serviced proffessionaly before put into everyday use,and those ugly and horrible skrews that squeze in between cage and swing-out upper end of the strip plates should be replaced by metal pins with an eye inserted from outside and housed in a small recess of the top board . Otherwise a nice clock,congrats!
    Burkhard