ID German single hammer Westminster chime

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by D.th.munroe, Jul 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    While I'm still mating all these movements I have to their cases, I found another match of an interesting one.
    I overhauled one of these maybe 15 years ago and never thought I'd see another.

Does anyone know who made these?
    I'm guessing German, it has "foreign" on the front of the movement.

Pretty neat when they work, there is a video of one on YouTube under xylophone clock.
    Thanks
    Dan

20190731_120935.jpg 20190731_121000.jpg

2. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They are attributed to Rudolf Blessing (Germany) but technical information about Blessing's chime movements is next to nothing. Chime clocks from the 20th century were not recognized as antiques for years and subsequently evaded much historical documentation until recently. The single hammer layout has been spotted by other collectors before but it is very uncommon compared to the more typical movements with 4 or 5 hammers.

The case is most likely of British construction. It is easy enough to match barren cases with proprietary German or English movements & components since this is what was originally done with many "British" clocks during the 1930-1950 period.

3. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks chimeclockfan.

I had thought the case may be English and am hoping that it's the proper case it is almost identical to the one I repaired years ago, and everything lines up perfectly.
    Although there is alot of cases and movements, almost all appear to have just been taken apart and then stored so all the parts are here just lots of fun detective/puzzle work lol

4. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of these cases can be a tight fit no matter which movements are tried. The hardest ones I've run into are the older dual chime movements with 8 or 9 hammers mounted on the movement back plate, leaving very little room for the pendulum and gong rods.

Getting the arbors and chime silencers aligned is a crucial aspect since the exact specs varied from maker to maker.
    I would say your clock has the proper case since the movement fits and lines up without issue. It is a nice little clock with an unusual chime mechanism.

5. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Here it is:

This type of movement was also discussed in this post. Now the search begins. Like I need another clock...

6. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    20 Years working on clocks & never see or heard of a clock like this one.
    Hope one will come buy some day.
    Nice clock