• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

ID for Elliott tall clock?

jcrawf

Dec 24, 2012
Greetings all:
The hall clock pictured, with "Elliott-London" inscribed on the face and with five chime tubes, was a gift to my parents in 1935. Still works fine. Can anyone help identify the model name and the vintage? Many thanks.
-jcrawf

GFClock2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Rogerstar1

Jul 28, 2011
Beveled Glass? 101 inches tall? Any marks or numbers on the movement? Awfully nice clock you have there!

jcrawf

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks, Rogerstar1. Yes, and yes: Beveled glass in door to the pendulum case, and 101 inches from floor to tip of the center finial. Can't speak for any markings on the movement, which this amateur (an antique in his own right) is reluctant to expose. But with your first two guesses right on target, you may have some hunches to share about the vintage and model Elliott I have. Please advise me if you can.

jcrawf

Rogerstar1

Jul 28, 2011
Herschede Mark on Caldwell Clock.jpg

I wish I could, but I can't. I've got a 101 tall, solid mahogany clock with a case I've long attributed to Herschede. My finial was identical to ones the company used. They are dissimilar to your's but I have seen your's on other Herschede cases. More recently I have come across two 101 inch tall cases with German works of high quality. One bore the same sort of raised relief carving as your's does down on it's base - an eagle as I recall. What if anything does the carving down near the front base of your clock appear to be?

The other one of that grand 101" height was a confirmed Herschede case as reflected by the die-stamp in the mahogany as shown in the above photo. My bet (and my hope) is that on your clock case someplace is an identical marking. More later, I've a train to catch...and Merry Christmas to all who pass this way.

Last edited:
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Todd Jenson
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions