ID Estate Find

Paul S P

Jan 17, 2021
Country
I'm a new member, been using site to repair a few clocks i acquired, this is my 1st post, found this clock at a estate sale. anybody have any ideas about it, age , if it's worth anything, it's 26in long, I think it has a Jungham B21 movement i have looked on E Bay haven't been able to find anything like it

0206211555_HDR.jpg

0206211554a_HDR.jpg

i
0206211554_HDR.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
B21 on a Junghans (not Jungham) movement indicates that the movement was made in the second half of 1921. That gives at least an approximate date for the clock itself, depending on when the movement was actually cased. In your pictures I can't see the Junghans logo or the B21.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Junghans clocks with the upside down hammers turn up once in a while and were primarily made during the early 1920's. The concept was to deliver a louder impact of sound while also reducing lifting power required to keep the hammers running throughout the week. I had one for years and the chimes ran pretty smoothly. Nice, mellow sound more like a xylophone than the usual 'tiny bells' sound produced from chime rods.

Some came with 4 rods and a coil cathedral gong strike:

The same concept was eventually recycled for the Junghans/Becker Schwinghammer Gong, albeit with very different chime rods.

Schwinghammer.jpg

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Yes, the above assessments are correct - I can only add that it will make a fine clock when restored, and that it was well worth saving. Be aware that the hour hand is a replacement as is the padding in the back door cover. Prices for Napoleon hat or tambour clocks (both terms are accurate) such as this one have stagnated as they aren't particularly rare, but they are still sought after because of their quality and the appeal of their chimes. When fully restored, if the replacements are corrected, your example would be worth $250-300 US, perhaps a little more to the right person, but it will take a good deal of work to get it to that point.

Regards.

Paul S P

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Hi,

Yes, the above assessments are correct - I can only add that it will make a fine clock when restored, and that it was well worth saving. Be aware that the hour hand is a replacement as is the padding in the back door cover. Prices for Napoleon hat or tambour clocks (both terms are accurate) such as this one have stagnated as they aren't particularly rare, but they are still sought after because of their quality and the appeal of their chimes. When fully restored, if the replacements are corrected, your example would be worth $250-300 US, perhaps a little more to the right person, but it will take a good deal of work to get it to that point.

Regards.
Thanks for input, I posted close up of movement numbers & dial, was the nylon screen on back door some sort of metal screen, I thought it may have been replaced. Bought this for $70, thought it was just neat being that it is larger than any other hump style clock I have seen. Back to identifying Junghans clocks is the number on the movement, always correspond with year, say if it has an 84 on it, it would be from 1984. I posted pic of my other Junghans that I have it has 84 on movement. Is there a good publication-book for identifying clocks Thanks Paul

Paul S P

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Thanks for input, I posted close up of movement numbers & dial, was the nylon screen on back door some sort of metal screen, I thought it may have been replaced. Bought this for $70, thought it was just neat being that it is larger than any other hump style clock I have seen. Back to identifying Junghans clocks is the number on the movement, always correspond with year, say if it has an 84 on it, it would be from 1984. I posted pic of my other Junghans that I have it has 84 on movement. Is there a good publication-book for identifying clocks Thanks Paul
0207210941_HDR.jpg 0207210942_HDR.jpg 0207210958_HDR.jpg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
You can try browsing the Junghans catalog archive to see if your clock(s) appear, searching through each publication year or typing in a model number that may be present somewhere on the case:

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Paul,
Using the old adage that something is worth what someone is willing to pay, I utilize Liveauctioneers as one of the pricing sources that I visit. I did a "price results" search for Junghans clocks and only found one that appears to be your clock. It sold for $125 on 1/11/14. I thought I would share this info with you.

Royce

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thank you for the pictures.

There was research performed on Junghans movements and the research indicated that Junghans date codes ended in the 1950s.

We have seen the W274 movements, such as yours, with the following two digit numbers - 74, 64, 83 and now 84.

The W274 movement was not listed as an offering in Junghans catalogs after 1959. See the following thread, which also addresses the movement with the aforementioned "64". It was proposed that the 64 could indicate a manufacturing year of 1946, as Junghans had, on occasion, used reverse two digit number for date coding. But this was just a guess.

(1) Please help me to identify this Junghans clock | NAWCC Forums

A clock very similar to the clock with the movement containing the "83" was listed in a 1959 Junghans catalog.

(1) Post your JUNGHANS clocks here | NAWCC Forums

So, we should never say never, as we can not state that every Junghans catalog has been identified, but as I stated earlier, based on the research performed:

- no one is sure what the two digit codes mean

- current research indicates that Junghans ceased date coding their clocks in the 1950s

- it appears based on observation that the W274 was not produced after 1959.

If - and this is a big if - the two digit code is a date code, it appears to me that the proper way to interpret the two digit code is to reverse the numbers to find the year of manufacture, based on the links above.

The scholarship behind horology is always evolving. :)

Regards.

Last edited:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Junghans began clock production as early as 1946 however things did not really get back into 'full swing' until 1950. The early postwar years were marked with trouble due to Junghans' best machinery having been confiscated by the allied forces following hostilities which made manufacturing of new clocks difficult. It was only under considerate scrutiny did the allies realize the importance of Junghans and other German clock companies in the global economic trade which led to their reestablishment - but it didn't come without some hitches. A good deal of those immediate postwar clocks were made for other companies as reparations. Highlighted here:

I've seen the same model as your clock with a Membram-Gong. Speaker-like projection sticking out of clock case, chimes sound like a vibraphone. If your clock utilizes the Membran-Gong, the patent is covered here:

Time is limited, clock research is not. While your exact model couldn't be found in the known catalogs, you may see some of its siblings here. Same styling as your clock but with different case shapes and details. Notice the 'Exacta' balance wheel was in full swing by 1956:

Going by all evidence available, your clock was made during the mid 1950's after the Membran-Gong's introduction but before the Exacta balance wheel took off. The two digit code on movement's back plate does not always mean anything of significance regarding dating.

Paul S P

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Thanks and it sounds better than it looks, Yes I cut the tip off the minute hand to make it fit in the dial, do you know if the minute hand is suppose to look like the hour hand, with i'll call it the spade style look or is it similar to the one thats on there.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Think you got it right. I had an upright Junghans years ago with the same style hands:

Ceylon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CopperPry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre