ICCCO Regulator No. 2

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Special Ed, Mar 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Special Ed

Special Ed Registered User

Feb 27, 2017
    Hi y'all,

I picked up the clock this afternoon and it's everything I thought it would be. It smells old - you know the kind of old that can't be faked...lovely smell! It's No. 900 and the date(?) on the other side says "5 71".

There are some issues which I'll need to iron out while I'm its caretaker. I think the bottom cap was replaced in an effort to fix something in its past and the base molding is separated to the point that any serious pressure forward or sideways will likely cause it to separate completely. The back has been replaced and a metal hanging bracket attached. I don't think it was originally a hanger though.

There is absolutely zero clicking sound when winding the calendar (that's the left one, correct?). The clock movement clicks loud and crisp so that's a great thing. The pendulum won't stay swinging so I believe that means it needs oiling (I think I read that here somewhere). Oddly though, it swung consistently until I closed the door. I don't see it rubbing anywhere but it must be.

Nothing is so horrible that it can't be fixed and overall I'm pleased. I'm even more pleased that I didn't pay retail for it. That leaves room for fixing it and still having made (hopefully) a smart investment on a beautiful object. I love that it has Hoff's name on it. Any shop/advertising name would be cool but one that's tied directly to the horological world seems to be even cooler. Somewhere along the line, one of the owners asked someone what it was and they attached the tiny reply to the inside of the door. Lots to love about this.

Here are some pics. Oh...there are a few spare bits that just kinda fell to the bottom of the case. You can see them in the pic with the key. It anyone knows what they are, I'd appreciate some help. Maybe they have something to do with why the calendar isn't working?

icccoHoffSN.jpg icccoHoffDate.jpg icccoHoffDial.jpg icccoHoffMovement.jpg icccoHoffCalMech1.jpg icccoHoffKeySpares.jpg icccoHoffProvenance.jpg icccoHoffBob.jpg icccoHoffBobBack.jpg icccoHoffBaseCrack.jpg

2. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    Quick update...the pendulum has been swinging for over an hour now nonstop and the clock is keeping excellent time. Of course the door is open because I'm afraid to close it :)

Did a search for the Buenzles noted inside the door. Both were officers in the U.S. Navy and served in WWII. Mr. Buenzle passed away in 2010 at the young age of 96. I'm sure the clock could tell many stories.

3. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014

I'd love to see a full picture of the entire clock 'as is'... I also love your excitement and enthusiasm. It's contagious:coolsign:

4. Jim Burghart

Jim Burghart Registered User

Jan 27, 2004
    Excellent find.

These Ithaca calendar clocks are fantastic pieces. The small bits look like washers or spacers. One looks like a nut used to hold the hands on some newer clocks. From the pictures the hands look to be held on by a round nut on a threaded on the the minute shaft. Originally it would have been held on by a tapper pin. An older repair that is serving it's purpose.

The calendar would not need winding, I think the left winding arbor is for the second weight that drive the clock. The calendar is tripped by a cam on the back of the movement.

I live not far from Utica, and and have family and friends there. I love the dial! What a great find, and with some history of the past care takers. Nice bonus.

A picture of the entire clock would be nice :)

Jim

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I (as a non-US person) have been puzzling over ICCCO in the heading. Now I'm guessing Ithaca Calendar Clock Co - hope I've got it right.

I have a Seth Thomas Parlor model. It's a really pernickety thing.

JTD

6. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    Here's the full clock:

icccoHoff.jpg

7. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    Thank you, Jim.

You are right of course. It's held on with a nut threaded onto the minute shaft. I think even that is cobbled together because it's not quite right. They used a couple of different "washers" to achieve the proper spacing. Not sure I'll replace it with a tapper pin but I plan to at least clean up the spacers and make it look more presentable. At least the calendar arm is still held on by a tapper pin :)

Aha. Well...it took me a moment to realize there wasn't a chime on this thing so missing the fact that this was for the second clock weight is no surprise. Shouldn't it still click when winded though?

Exactly right. When I was in school, I couldn't have cared less about History class. After decades of collecting cameras, that's changed. I love that everything has a story and it's even better when you know some of what that story is. Then there's the mystery - was it G.W. Hoff's store clock or was it one he made up for sale to promote his shop? I find it all quite intriguing.

Clock pic posted right above.

8. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017

JTD - sorry about that. I didn't want to make the thread title so long so used the abbreviation from the clock's calendar dial. Yes, it's an Ithaca Calendar Clock Co.

I can already tell this one is going to be persnickety too. (Great word BTW).

9. Jim Burghart

Jan 27, 2004
    It should still tick when you wind it. Perhaps the click spring is weak, or the ratchet teeth are worn.?

That would be something to look at, if it fails the weight could fall and do some damage. I had that happen to banjo clock a few years ago, scared the daylights out me :)

Thanks for the picture of the full clock, super nice!!

10. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    The minute hand on your clock is held on by a nut -n ot a pin and washer. Your nut may not be the right one but that's what holds the hand on.

11. Jim Burghart

Jan 27, 2004
    Jacks61fd is correct. I had only seen these with pins holding the hands on, but I look at a number of pictures and there are many that used a nut.

My apologies.

12. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    Thanks, Jim. I just checked the clock again with my ear real close and I hear clicks. They're quiet but sharp, distinct clicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Jack, thank you. I'll go lookup some pics and stuff to see what it should really look like. Perhaps one of my spare nuts is the appropriate original nut.

13. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    On another positive note, I solved the problem of the pendulum not swinging when the door is closed.

I decided to hang the clock because I had the perfect spot for it and...I'm impatient. Long story short - the clock wasn't level top to bottom so the top was leaning backward causing the bob to rub against the cutout in the bottom cap. Got everything plumb and now it swings freely even with the door closed.

I guess I need to remember that balance is very important with these things :)

14. Jim Burghart

Jan 27, 2004
  15. Special Ed

Feb 27, 2017
    Yes, great news :)

Nice find, Jim! Only now I am going to have to start looking for G.W. Hoff watches so I have one to go with the clock LOL

Is it safe to assume that since Hoff's name is on the dial, this clock was likely his shop clock? Perhaps he used it for advertising instead?

I found an interesting entry for Hoff in the June 1893 "Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of the Free and Accepted Masons of the State of New York." It shows that G.W. Hoff was paid $4.25 for "one clock for Home."

Free Mason Disbursement Page 77