IBM/Simplex Master Clock 25 winding question

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by dieselsteveo, Oct 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dieselsteveo

dieselsteveo Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey all,
    I have a IBM/Simplex Model 25 master clock that's of the later design where an electric motor was used to wind the mechanism (see photo). The motor was wired directly by the previous owner, and as such is always running when plugged in.

My question is this: was the motor intended to be running 24/7? or was the motor supposed to be connected to the switches on the mechanism that would result in it running periodically? I cannot find a wiring diagram on the IBM clock corner that explains the motor wiring.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_0700.jpeg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You might get more exposure to your question if you posted in the Electric Horology section.

Perhaps a moderator will move it for you.

JTD

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think it's uncommon for the motor to be under continuous power. It would be held at bay by the clock work, and released to turn as indicated by the levers. I will move this to electric horology for you though.

4. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The motor runs continuously. I have two master clocks with this setup. The motor winds a spring and cannot over wind it. I will look to see if I have a wiring diagram for this style clock

5. dieselsteveo

dieselsteveo Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Indiana, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks everybody. I was primarily concerned about the life of the motor, not over winding.

6. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Scott Traffis: could you contact me at paradiseclocks@cfl.rr.com. If you don't mind I would like to ask you a few questions on your synchro wind clocks.
    Thank you Marco Roberts.

7. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You could click on his name and start a 'conversation' (the new name for private message on this board).

JTD