• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

IBM relay cabinets

spclock

Aug 13, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Country
While I was posting some other stuff, I figured someone may be interested in pic's of several IBM relay cabinets I recently picked up. There is one 601-9 cabinet and 3 604-9 cabinets. These all came out of the same installation that dated from about 1950. (and are surprisingly heavy) The papers glued to the inside of the lids are schematics

601-9604-9.jpg 604-9a.jpg relay1.jpg relay2.jpg

Reactions: bearcat

spclock

Aug 13, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Country
I'll try and get some good images of the schematics that are glued to the lids and post them just FYI. I plan on eventually restoring the 601-9 cabinet and use it with the Navy clock instead of the power supply/relay setup I built. Unfortunately the contractor that removed this stuff was less than gentle .....,
It looks like the 601-9 cabinet powered the clock and each of the 604-9 cabinets powered a bank of slave clocks..

Reactions: bearcat

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
Yeah, most transformers and relay contacts were only rated at 2 amps. They did have an 8 amp transformer and relays with higher contact ratings too. The bridge rectifiers was another limiting factor. The standard Copper Oxide rectifier was rated at 24 volts, 2 amps intermittent, but only 0.5 amps continuous. The newer Selenium rectifier was better, at 24 volts , 3.5 amps intermittent, but only 1 amp continuous. I think IBM started using stud mounted Silicon diodes in the early 1950's so these helped a lot I think.

So if there were a whole lot of seconderies, program devices, Bell, horns, and other devices, they would have multiple cabinets in order to extend the system.

I think you need to use the one on the left for your cabinet. It has the Run/Advance switch in it so it is probably the primary cabinet.

Last edited:

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
SP,
I found this paper some time ago on IBM's Clock Corner web site and just got around to reading it. I think this is a must read for anyone who has an IBM master clock or wants information about IBM's master clocks. Tell me what you think. Joe

Oops, On edit, I seem to have gotten tripped up. The IBM Document I am trying to reference is here:

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/cc/pdf/cc_2407MLN2.pdf

I had searched on "2407MLN1 and this link to 2407MLN2 popped up. Still don't know why. Joe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlb22
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-