IBM Master clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by lperzy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lperzy

lperzy Registered User

Dec 27, 2000
    Was there a time when IMB made master clocks used standard electric master clock program tapes. Did IMB ever use these devises??

2. lperzy

lperzy Registered User

Dec 27, 2000
    Was there a time when IMB made master clocks used standard electric master clock program tapes. Did IMB ever use these devises??

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Iperzy. I assume you are asking about IBM, not IMB. My experience tells me no, they never used tapes. However, my experience is Canadian, so someone may prove me wrong. Do you have an unlabelled clock that you are wondering about? If so, post a photo. Harold

4. Joe Gensheimer

Joe Gensheimer Registered User

Oct 9, 2000
    Dey bought paper tape movements from Standard (as well as Standard master clocks) and reboxed them in similar cases to Standard. See my article and accompanying pictures in Bulletin 332, page 339 (June 2001). Those pictures are from a 1908 Dey catalog after ITR bought Dey. I don't know how long that continued, but certainly as late as 1933 IBM offered a paper tape master clock (the Model 17) for use in schools that used a mechanism very similar to that used by Standard, although I have seen no records to say it was made by Standard. IBM did push its brass-wheel program clocks over the paper tape clocks. Hope this helps.

Joe

5. lperzy

lperzy Registered User

Dec 27, 2000
    the IMB I bought camr from canada with the tape system. It looks exactly like the standard one but don;t know if it was original to the clock, bought just the pieces and not the case thanks guys for the info

6. Joe Gensheimer

Joe Gensheimer Registered User

Oct 9, 2000
    I have seen over ten Standard tape master clocks in ITR or IBM cases. In fact, I have one. A real IBM tape system is rare as most ITR or IBM masters have the brass program wheel mechanism.

Joe

7. WalkerR

WalkerR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Does anyone know for sure if IBM ever put a paper tape in a model 13-7, s/n is 536846. A friend of mine has one. IBM site does not list it. But it don't list the model that I have either, its a 683-5 Thanks

Walker

8. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They have a service bulletin for paper tape programmers, and I saw one in a school in Spokane or Bellingham or somewhere over that way in a light oak cabinet-the program apparatus was in a cabinet that matched the master, which would have been a 13 or 17 something probably-it had a wood pendulum stick but no weights and the round dial with the flattened "8." The programmer had four circuits; when I saw it it was intact but not operational.

The service bulletin shows a three wire hourly corrected slave movement with rotating actuator, and a toothed drive sprocket. They were offered, according to the bulletin, in one, two, or three tape set ups, and the length of the tape could be doubled to run it twenty-four hours.

9. neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pictures of services bulletin

10. John Lippold

John Lippold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2011

11. neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. WalkerR

WalkerR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Country Flag:
    IMG_1501.jpg IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1457.jpg The 1938 model 13-7 paper tape looks to be a factory install but did IBM make it? And i wonder how many did they make like this, it could have been made to order just don't know, Clock history is so confusing... And the 1939 that i have is all electric but still built with the same wiring techniques.. IMG_1338.jpg IMG_1241.jpg Looks like I don't have a picture of the back of this one but the way the wires are lade out and stapled down is the same

Thanks for your help with this
    Walker

13. WalkerR

WalkerR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Country Flag:
    IMG_1513.jpg Hay john do you have info on this one? Or maybe the correct transformer for it:???:?
    Thanks

14. John Lippold

NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #14 John Lippold, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

15. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice collection, John. In my experience, the earliest use of Telechron motors by IBM that I have seen would be the late 1930's, in a model 2500 job clock, and also in a 8500 series attendance clock. After this period (1940-50's) all they used was Telechron in their time recorders. But I haven't run into any electric IBM recorders earlier than this, so can't say for sure when they might have started using them.

16. John Lippold

NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Harold, thank you for your response regarding the Telechron motors. I wish I had paid more attention to what he was telling me. He passed away years ago so I can't ask him again, but I think the issue had to do with using a Telechron motor to actually physically drive the time indicating hands. The other synchronous motor driven 600 series program clocks used Synchron motors.
    You know, there is so much information like this that is lost over the years. I wish there was some way to preserve it... John

17. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, John, I can only go with my experience. Can't recall seeing Synchron motors used until IBM came up with their Synchon driven slave clocks in the late 1940's.