• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

IBM/ITR Master relay

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
If anyone could spare one of the older large sized winding/slave advance relays in 24 volts, I would be very appreciative-if they have more than one I would dance in the street!

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
neighmond, The "master relay" or R-1 is of two varities made for 24 volt service.

The most common IBM/ITR R-1 used in US domestic impulse wind master has an alternating current relay coil, and usually has a copper dampening ring around the electromagnet core. The actual relay has heavy-duty contacts. The relay was generally held by wood screws on rubber gromets because they tend to be "buzzy."

A similarly made relay but with a DC only coil was used on IBM/ITR master clocks as R-1 on those made to be used with a local DC battery source.

On many, R-1 is replaced nicely with a noiseless solid-state relay of appropriate capacity.

It is important to replace R-1 with the proper type.

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
It had a DC one way back when I scrounged the box, and I found a small Potter Brumfield one that is AC that works after some minor rewiring but it is at the end of its life (was old when I found it.) I got a real nice filtered power supply from the telephone company that has both rectified and AC so either will work; the relay is in a glass fronted case with five other ones so that was why I was hoping someone would have one that would look pretty close.

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region
Neighmond I have about a dozen old relays but without more to identify which I don't know if I can help. If you could contact me with more info and maybe a picture I will be glad to check through what I have. My email is paradiseclocks@cfl.rr.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
car-nut1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-