IBM/ITR Master relay

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by neighmond, Oct 10, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If anyone could spare one of the older large sized winding/slave advance relays in 24 volts, I would be very appreciative-if they have more than one I would dance in the street!

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    neighmond, The "master relay" or R-1 is of two varities made for 24 volt service.

The most common IBM/ITR R-1 used in US domestic impulse wind master has an alternating current relay coil, and usually has a copper dampening ring around the electromagnet core. The actual relay has heavy-duty contacts. The relay was generally held by wood screws on rubber gromets because they tend to be "buzzy."

A similarly made relay but with a DC only coil was used on IBM/ITR master clocks as R-1 on those made to be used with a local DC battery source.

On many, R-1 is replaced nicely with a noiseless solid-state relay of appropriate capacity.

It is important to replace R-1 with the proper type.

3. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It had a DC one way back when I scrounged the box, and I found a small Potter Brumfield one that is AC that works after some minor rewiring but it is at the end of its life (was old when I found it.) I got a real nice filtered power supply from the telephone company that has both rectified and AC so either will work; the relay is in a glass fronted case with five other ones so that was why I was hoping someone would have one that would look pretty close.

4. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Neighmond I have about a dozen old relays but without more to identify which I don't know if I can help. If you could contact me with more info and maybe a picture I will be glad to check through what I have. My email is paradiseclocks@cfl.rr.com.