Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i walked into some shop in an area where you just wouldn't see mechanical clocks and saw this hanging behind the counter. apparently the guy's dad was a clock guy. plugs into a wall socket, no master clock thunking every minute or 30-seconds... just a lovely ticking sound. the invar / heavy pendulum might help in that regard.

as far as the look... i've already replaced all but one painting/print on my walls with clocks, so even if whoever did this took the 'wall clock as art' thing a little farther than expected, it's not too far for me! :cool:

btw... no master clock hardware, no additional holes in the back of the case... just a powered seconds clock with heavy pendulum... right up my alley.

ibm_itr_17_7.jpg bracket_suspension_spring.jpg pendulum_back2.jpg movement_right.jpg label.jpg movement_left.jpg regulating_setup.jpg motor.jpg beat_indicator.jpg ensemble.jpg movement_right.jpg

Reactions: Kevin W.

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you made me laugh... i just finished cleaning the movement and am impressed with the quality of workmanship as well as the design... two set screws (in upper left and lower right) hold the movement to the bracket... easy to get on and off. hex standoffs hold the front plate in place and hold the dial... easy to dis- and re-assemble. the mainspring has its own posts that function as a built-in c-ring for letting down the spring... all very straightforward but with a welcome thoughtfulness toward the repair/service/hobbyist person.

here's an ensemble shot so you can see how it holds its own with some of its cousins.

IMG_7557.JPG

Last edited:

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Yes, that's essentially the same movement plates as my new ITR I recently posted. Very well thought out. Mine has an additional wheel to mesh with the weights/electric winding arbor. That wheel has loose ball bearings at each pivot. The movement was in dire need of a cleaning and I can't wait to see how much fun that will be when I try to put those ball bearings back in. It's hard enough for me to get the pivots in place. Now I'll have to learn how to juggle 14 balls while doing that.

So does that motor wind a spring? I don't see the spring and I thought it drove the movement directly? I guess it would need a high torque to do that?

Still trying to figure out whether I like the look it not... But I am sure you are happy.

Tom

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
Very interesting indeed. So the synchron motor provides steady power to the escapement just like a spring would and keeps the pendulum moving? Nothing wrong with that and you still get to hear the tick. I like the big pendulum as well. Someone added the picture frame molding to an original ITR master and removed any ancillary mechanisms that might have been there originally. Nice find. I'm in the same position with the pictures and wall space.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
Yes, that's essentially the same movement plates as my new ITR I recently posted. Very well thought out. Mine has an additional wheel to mesh with the weights/electric winding arbor. That wheel has loose ball bearings at each pivot. The movement was in dire need of a cleaning and I can't wait to see how much fun that will be when I try to put those ball bearings back in. It's hard enough for me to get the pivots in place. Now I'll have to learn how to juggle 14 balls while doing that.

So does that motor wind a spring? I don't see the spring and I thought it drove the movement directly? I guess it would need a high torque to do that?

Still trying to figure out whether I like the look it not... But I am sure you are happy.

Tom

my suggestion would be to apply a liberal coating of grease. it will serve to stick them in place while you are working on it.

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Yes, Brian, that's my thought as well. The first side should be easy. I was thinking of making a paper collar that can be pulled out once it starts to insert on the other side, but I don't want them to stick to the paper either, so I will try without it first.

Tom

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spiketock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool