IBM Clock Question/ Help

woodie2

New User
Jun 28, 2021
Country
I bough a motor cant not seem to remember how to get back together. Can someone provide a picture of exactly what it should look like when assembled before clock face goes on.

IMG_4953.JPG IMG_4955.JPG IMG_4957.JPG

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
Can you give us a little more information about the motor? This does not look like a weight driven movement. Are you trying to run the clock with a synchronous motor instead of using the verge and pendulum? You should find a drawing of the movement in this document.

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/cc/pdf/cc_2407MCE1.pdf

By the way, you are missing the two lower threaded spacers at the bottom that mounts the face.

Last edited:

woodie2

New User
Jun 28, 2021
Country
Can you give us a little more information about the motor? This does not look like a weight driven movement. Are you trying to run the clock with a synchronous motor instead of using the verge and pendulum? You should find a drawing of the movement in this document.

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/cc/pdf/cc_2407MCE1.pdf

By the way, you are missing the two lower threaded spacers at the bottom that mounts the face.
Yes sir i have the spacers . Yes is does use a synchronous motor that went out and I purchased a replacement motor( 1RPM) . The drum of the motor inserts in a # 44 electromagnet coil. I just can't remember how physically it all mounts, i am not using weights to run the mechanism . I will take some additional pictures and post tomorrow .

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
OK, So it seems that someone removed the wind coil mechanism and mainspring, then installed a 1 RPM motor to run the clock, or maybe to keep pressure on the gear train, while using the pendulum and original escapement to regulate it. You are probably on your own since this movement has been modified from the original design. I would think this would be hard on a synchronous motor. Probably why it died so early in it's life.

IBM did produce a synchronous motor kit that eliminated the mainsprings (two), escapement parts, and pendulum of the time recorders. Most likely to do away with having to have a person delegated to winding the mainsprings. Mine is still running since I got it, 55 years ago. Its probably 80 years old now. This kind of modification would not have been necessary for a master clock because a master clock would have provided the A pulses (80/hour) to keep the movement wound. It makes no sense and I see no advantage. Good luck getting it to run. Joe

woodie2

New User
Jun 28, 2021
Country
Thanks for your response . That is more than i knew before. I've had it about 30 years. I just can't remember how the assembly mounts .

Thanks again !!! from Louisiana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa