IBM 35 slave synchronization

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by giorgio, Jun 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an IBM 35 Master Clock with two slaves which have bee working well. I have just acquired a third slave (three wires) but I have not been able to synchronize it with the other two. I should be quick to add that I am not an electric clock guy and quite ignorant about slaves. The issue is that the new slave advances 15 "clicks" (minutes) when the Master reaches the hour (at 12). I have connected the three wires (A B C) to the existing connectors on top of the Master where the other two slaves are also connected. The new slave advances in unison, but, as I said, when the Master reaches the hour, only the new slave advances 15 minutes.

Please tell me what to do in simple language. Thanks

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check the correction contacts to make sure it has a clean switch from the A to the B line at the hour.
    Also make sure the A and B lines are not reversed.

3. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harold. I have replicated the connections of the previous two slaves to the new one. All three click at the same time at the minute. The first two, however now have gone exactly one hour ahead of the Master, while the third, the added one, still advance 15 minutes at the hour (12 on the dial). I am frustrated.

How do I get the two original slaves to synchronize with the Master? The three salves are in the same room and close together.

4. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have you got some scattering going on? If you can easily do so, perhaps take them all off line and try them for a day or two on their lonesome. If you have one getting funny you may chase it out that way. The one that advances willy-nilly during the rapid correction cycle, what Harold B. said.

5. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Hi Giorgio.

The first thing I'd have to ask about is the voltage and ampere capacity of the DC source providing the advance impulses. Loose connections and long small gauge wire runs are scary.

Secondly, are all the slave dials of the same working current ? Were all three series wired in a 'daisy-chain' fashion or, are they of the kind meant to be parallel connected to the master movement ?

Personally, I avoid trouble shooting secondary clock issues with a Miltimeter. Despite being very useful, a 50 volt test lamp will tell you more out of the corner of your eye while watching electromagnets and electrical contacts than you can conveniently observe using a common voltmeter.

I personally keep a variety of switchboard lamps with short leads handy for fault finding low-to-moderate switched DC circuits. They are often available in small quantities dirt cheap 6, 12, 18, 24 and 50 volts.

As Harold can tell you first-hand, "monkey wiring" and crossed connections are the bane of school/factory clock systems.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Turn them off for an hour to get the originals back to time, then check the contacts on the new one.