I would please appreciate some help identifying a pocket watch from my grandfather.

P.R.

New User
Sep 22, 2022
Country
I recently had this watch gone through and cleaned at the Time Shoppe in Lincoln, NE. The watchmaker was very helpful in gathering the following information. Most important to me is that I hope you can tell me what year the watch was made. Of secondary importance is approx. what would it have sold for at the time and how many were made. Of least importance, but if available, what would be its value today.
--Montgomery Ward Co's THIN MODEL (printed on the face)
--17 Jewels
--Adjustable Safety pinion
--Stem wind
--Lever set
--Size 16
--pendant wind
--Open face
I think the only info I am lacking is an image of the inside of the case. If needed, I will take a chance on removing the back.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Photo May 17, 5 02 12 PM.jpg Photo Sep 14, 3 35 20 PM.jpg Photo May 17, 5 03 41 PM.jpg

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
The year is 1897 , the grade is 175 with a total production over 40, 000 , no way to determine how many of these M G W & Co. private label were made. Nice mid grade Illinois watch, not a great amount of value in the market. To you it should have a lot I hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: musicguy

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
At the introduction of the 16s model 4&5 watches they were advertised as thin models, because they were thinner than models1-2-3. The earlier models required a thicker case body as did some Elgins and also some Rockfords. Illinois did not mark all Getty model watches as thin models, just as requested.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
At the introduction of the 16s model 4&5 watches they were advertised as thin models, because they were thinner than models1-2-3. The earlier models required a thicker case body as did some Elgins and also some Rockfords. Illinois did not mark all Getty model watches as thin models, just as requested.
Thanks for the education, never to old to learn something new for the day:)

Reactions: P.R.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
P.R. Welcome to the NAWCC Forum!

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Figuring out the current value on a watch is not always easy. I would think
this is a desirable double signed private label for Montgomery Ward
with a nice double sunk dial and moon hands. It is also cleaned and serviced
as you say above. I would say about $150-200 would seem about right.
Since this is a family heirloom its value is tremendous. I like it a lot.

Rob

P.R.

New User
Sep 22, 2022
Country
I would like to issue a big "Thank you" to all who have commented and contributed so far. What a great group of collectors and enthusiasts who are willing to share their expertise. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-