I was burglarized last night here in upstate NY large number of watches stolen

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by kevinstang, Jan 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kevinstang

kevinstang Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Not sure if this is correct place to post this, but looking for places to put an alert out,if anyone knows of any web based sites. Last night my shop/home was burglarized and about 75 to possible 100 pocket watches from my collection were stolen here in upstate NY- I am attempting to get a list together. They took at least 18-20 of my best- 21 jewel watches and even possible 1-3 23 jewels- I had Hampden and Vanguard models in 23 jewel. There were 4 early bunn specials (16s), a Sangamo 21j in plain unmarked white alloy case. 4 or 5 992 hamiltons- one in a BOC case that had wrong bow on it-star manufacture serial number R806080. There were no doubt several 940's and Hampden 21 jewel models as well. I would appreciate any help and if others would spread the word around, thank you for this site and your time.

2. kevinstang

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Large watch collection stolen upstate NY st.lawrence county- I was burglarized last

Looking for places to put an alert out,if anyone knows of any web based sites. Last night my shop/home was burglarized and about 75 to possible 100 pocket watches from my collection were stolen here in upstate NY- I am attempting to get a list together. They took at least 18-20 of my best- 21 jewel watches and even possible 1-3 23 jewels- I had Hampden and Vanguard models in 23 jewel. There were 4 early bunn specials (16s), a Sangamo 21j in plain unmarked white alloy case. 4 or 5 992 hamiltons- one in a BOC case that had wrong bow on it-star manufacture serial number R806080. There were no doubt several 940's and Hampden 21 jewel models as well. I would appreciate any help and if others would spread the word around, thank you for this site and your time. The St.Lawrence county sheriffs department is handling the investigation. 315-379-2222

3. Ryan Cox

Ryan Cox New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I browse all the sites for antique clocks and pocket watches. I'm sorry to hear of your burlary. I will keep this and if any show up in Florida I'll know and contact you. Sincerely, Ryan Cox

4. kevinstang

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    thank you Ryan, I'm still working on a list, there was also a nice little Hampden 12s 21 jewel John Hancock in a duber swing out gold filled case- the 12s size being odd for a John Hancock I think.

5. mngermanshepherd

mngermanshepherd Registered User

Feb 7, 2016
    Minnesnowta!
    Country Flag:
    I'll keep an eye out here in southern Minnesota. Dealer I work with goes to the east coast annually (and is headed there in a month) to meet with some of his dealer/contact friends to purchase for his stock here. Sorry to hear of that.

6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin, So sorry to hear this. Believe me, I know how you feel! Same thing happened to me about three years ago.

And I might ad.. If you don't have an additional clause in your insurance policy, you are probably only covered for a small minimum loss on jewelry, old coins, etc. (For those who have never had this experience, something to consider.)

7. kevinstang

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys,nothing turned up so far around me.

8. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    I am sorry to hear of your misfortune , this is a good case for cataloging your watch collection , good pictures showing the serial numbers . post the serial numbers of the watches , i am always looking at the high end serials.

9. kevinstang

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Believe me I have been working to catalog my remaining watches and just was thinking about having pictures too. I did get an update today at 4pm est, 40 of my watches have turned up out west- they were sold via the mail by the suspects girlfriend to a western watch dealer- they have a copy of the check and film of her cashing it. Unfortunately the money is gone and the dealer wants compensation for watches before he will return them, and the small local police force doesn't have funds to go pick them up. I cant believe this dealer wants me to pay for the return of my own stolen watches! He paid roughly 50$ each for them, there were 25+that were 21-23 jewel, hamiltons,bunn specials, waltham vanguards a sangamo....He had to know something was up with an east coaster selling them to him out west. I have to contact police in the am and hopefully will find out who this dealer is and will update.

10. topspy

topspy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Video engineer
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So did you ever get them back?

11. kevinstang

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2013
    The watches were returned to the local sheriffs office s a few months ago, I got a chance to view them briefly, now just waiting on the slow wheels of the justice system to prosecute those resposible. Looks like they will most likely reach a plea bargain deal until the