I remember when:

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Nov 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    I remember when:

An automobile was hand cranked to start

I remember when the horse and wagons was prominent on our city streets
    And their droppings were on our streets

I remember when Belgian blocks were used to pave our streets

I remember when getting coal was delivered by horse and wagon and chutes were hand cranked and angled to deliver the coal into coal bins through cellar windows

I remember when doctors made house calls

I remember when dropping a quarter into a kitchen gas box would deliver a certain amount of gas to cook on

I remember we had an outhouse to do what was natural when nature called

I remember when going to the movies cost 10c

I remember riding the trolley cars and paying five cents and getting half of a paper
    ticket and the conductor clanked a bell that recorded the number sold

I remember the corner grocer, tailor, candy store and hardware store

I remember when almost all children were born at home

I remember when telephones were hand cranked and you spoke to a lady to
    connect you to the one you were calling

I remember when being politically correct was unheard of

I remember writing a letter by hand script

I forgot too much to remember at my 100 year old age.

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was born too late to remember some of the things Dan remembers. But I was born early enough to remember a lot of things that most who frequent here, have never seen.

-school children being called for class with a bronze hand bell.
    -straight pens and ink wells.
    -being taught cursive writing.
    -lining up to get your ration coupons so you could buy your groceries.
    -at the movies TWO features, cartoons, and Movie Tone news reels. All for 10 cents.
    -walking two miles to school, with NO complaints about lack of school buses.
    -gas at 49.9 cents for an Imperial gallon.
    -crystal sets. No such thing as transistor radios.
    -no colour television Tv screens the size of a saucer.
    -door delivery of ice, bread, and milk.
    -ice boxes rather than refrigerators.
    -before indoor plumbing, when the horse and wagon (riding on the "honey wagon") when it came to empty the (ahem) "facility".
    -the horse on the delivery wagon who knew when and where to stop.
    -street cars heated with a coal stove. You roasted at the front, and froze at the back. The "smoker" at the back of the street car.
    -margarine that couldn't be the colour of butter. You had to colour it yourself.
    -milk, in bottles, with the cream on top.
    -a neighbour kept a horse in his garage.
    -a "trough" in the boy's washroom, at school!

And on and on.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was born a bit later still, but my first car still had the option of hand crank and my tractor only had hand crank so the handle was permanently fixed there.

The first house I bought had an outside toilet only and just cold water for a belfast sink in an attached outhouse. A piece of carpet nailed over the top to try and stop the pipe freezing as it was a single brich wall. (My second house wasn't much better)

Our milk was delivered and the blue tits used to make holes in the top and pinch the cream.

We had inkwells and ink monitors at school too but that was just going out when I got there.

At our primary school the boys toilets were outside in the playground and had no roof.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We had an outhouse and no running water indoors. Water was provided by pumping a handle up and down. Milk was delivered to the house by me when I brought it in fresh from the cow :)

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As children we had several different types of jobs to get extra money. One was potato picking, a machine would dig them up and leave them near the surface, we went along and collected them and put them in large paper sacks. As the farm belonged to the head of the milk marketing board there was always milk available, we would bring a jug of unpasteurised milk home. Quite something for a bunch of London born kids.

6. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unpasteurized milk! On my late father's side of the family, most were farmers. Most of them drank milk right from the cow. I have, myself, on occasion when visiting the farm, as a kid. My step grandfather on my father's side, in the 1940s, worked at the hospital in Belleville, Ontario. They had a dairy products processing department which he ran. Farmers supplied the raw milk to the hospital, and it was pasteurized right there. I read the other day that a prominent individual died from drinking raw milk!

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was illegal to sell it at the time, it may have been illegal to give it away too!

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall when there was an attendant outside the public washroom selling a few sheets of toilet paper for .15 cents. This was about a month ago in Quito, Equador. Also, you would have to supply your own toilet seat, as there were none there:whistle:

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is illegal here to sell raw milk here. I have drank lots of it and my ancestors did as well on their farms. I laugh when i look at the things that are new to my neices or nephews that never saw or experienced.
    I went to a school with only two class rooms and our library was in the corridor. I had to walk over a half mile to catch the school bus. We were lucky too if it had any heat, usually all covered in frost in the winter. Sometimes it stalled and the kids had to get out and push it to start it up.
    Very interesting experiences people here have posted.

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    When I was in Spain 40 years, at the train station in either Malaga or Barcelona, the men's room toilets consisted of two footprints and a hole in the floor. Y'all can figger out the rest!:^

11. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    I remember I was watching TV when the towers in New York were taken down by two airplanes on 9/11.

I was working for Lyon & Armor, printers of Poor Richards Almanac, we had radios in the composing room when the news came across that President Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas.

I remember I never knew my mother was left handed until I saw her cutting a pattern for a velvet dress for my sister 3 years younger than me. And, that was more than a lifetime ago.

12. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    And then there are some of the fun things to remember like---
    all piling in the old car with blankets and snacks and heading out to the "drive-in" movies for the night.

13. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah yes! Drive in movies! IIRC, they charged by the car, and number of occupants. Who among us never went to a drive in theatre with friends stashed with the Jerry can, spare wheel (if you were lucky enough to have one), and the beer?

About 55 years ago, a bunch of us went to an A & W for root beer and burgers. The car we were in was a 1950 Mercury with power windows. The tray was hooked on the window. My knee hit the power switch, the window went down, as did six glass root beer mugs! They charged me $2.00 per smashed mug.

14. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha Ha. Doug I just found a bunch of the small A&W small mugs in a box in the basement. I guess we must have "stole them" way back when. You want me to send you some?

David

15. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Remember when you could make crank calls and unless they knew to *69, they had no idea who you were, when the police would take your beer and call your parents and no one got sued and your father could beat you for being so stupid and not get himself arrested. We used to wait until the milkman went around back to drop off the milk on a hot summer day and we would jump into the truck and grab ice. Remember when mail was delivered twice a day by a mailman driving his own car, not some truck that our tax dollars pay for. When gasoline smelled great and you wondered who Ethyl was. When you could scrounge a buck and drive around all night. When you could buy a dozen White Castle hamburgers, aka Rat Burgers, for under a buck. I remember putting the copper spark plug gaskets and the cardboard thread protectors on my fingers when my father tuned his car. Finally, remember when the local service station came out for road service and could actually get your car running while still in your driveway without towing it back to hook it up like an ICU patient to figure out what was wrong with it, tire gauge down the choke, pedal to the floor, crank away and zoom.

16. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Richiec---crank calls---who hasn't done those at one time or another.
    Back then that was one of the most fun things you did with a phone
    Now everyone walks around staring at one and doing everything from business to games.

Ah yes-crank calls--like the famous one of calling a grocer or drug store and asking if they have Prince Albert (a tobacco) in a can.
    Of course the answer was always yes we have Prince Albert in a can. Then came your reply. "Well you better let him out before he suffocates"!
    And at that point you hang up and you and all your buddies break into never ending laughter.

17. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, now instead of crank calls we get telemarketers.
    Drive-ins. I recall we used to fill up the trunk with 1/2 dozen kids and sneak them in:whistle:

18. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember going to a drive in up in the Catskills while staying at our neighbors vacation house in Haines Falls, a James Bond film, You Only Live Twice, I most remember the number of stars out that night because, living near NY city, you just didn't see that many. Our neighbor had a '58 Oldsmobile Holiday 88 convertible that he used to love to scare us to death on the way to the house by driving close to the edge of the road that had a steep drop off. He had served in the Greek Resistance in WW II and had no fear.