I regret selling.....

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by 4thdimension, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:31 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Back around 1990 I bought an old fusee watch for a 100 bucks which had a watch paper for A. Willard in the back of the case. Well Aaron Willard was a famous maker so I felt that jacking the price to 300- was a fair profit and I was happy. A few months later I saw the watch advertised for sale in the Maine Antiques digest but I didn’t call to see what the asking price was. Well, the May 2020 issue of the M.A.D. had a nice write up about a recent sale of another example of that watch paper. It turns out it was engraved by Paul Revere and this one had just sold for 6250-. I still have a xerox of that paper saved as a souvenir. Ya win some, ya lose some.-Cort

PatH and Kevin W. like this.
  2. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow. The paper sold for 6250 or a watch with the paper?

3. 4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Just the paper. As the author of the M.A.D. article put it, this the “Holy Grail“ of watch papers. <(~:~)>

PatH likes this.
  4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #4 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:09 PM
    Such is life.

I am a small potatoes antiques dealer which I do as a side line. Before the pandemic, shows, space in 1-2 local shops and private sales to good "clients" I know well.

I am rather low on the food chain. The folks higher up the chain, even at the top of the chain, will buy from me and man, they want that very very good and "friendly" price. They then get the big $$$. Plus, I've usually done the research and may provide an information packet adding a value added service. When I go to the fancy shows or peruse fancy dealer fancy web sites or their auction listings, I see some of my stuff making the big time. I am basically a few cuts above the pickers. That's where I am and honestly, it's fine. Mr. and Ms. Big Time Buyer/Collector typically don't buy from me. But if Mr. or Ms. "important" dealer validate the object because they are offering it, they will. I make my sales and some profit. I have a clientele that checks in with me with "what ya' got"? More important, I find it gratifying that my "eye" is validated.

By the way, items printed from plates engraved by Paul Revere (actually, Paul Revere, Jr. of "Midnight Ride" fame, not his father, also Paul Revere) which may be found in Willard tall case clocks, watch papers (he also did book plates) are rather valuable and sought after. Wasn't the paper signed by PR?

RM

5. 4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for that rmarkowitz. I think we’re similarly in the picker+ category. I learned this paper was engraved by PR a few years ago but this recent sale blew me away! This is ‘the one that got away’. I have a xerox of the back too which notes the work done and the name of the prominent Bostonian who owned the watch (I did look that up). I would never part a paper from the watch though. Happily, the deals that went well far outnumber these occasional oops. -Cort

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    You have had the privilege of owning a great thing.

If you have images, please post.

Would be nice to have a record of it on the Forums, plus, I'm sure that folks would like to see it?

RM

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Pat H was kind enough to supply some info re: this and watch papers which I am at liberty to share with you.

The first is a publication about watch papers:

https://www.americanantiquarian.org/proceedings/44807225.pdf

Here's a link to the PAST auction of the subject of this post:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/fine-manuscript-and-printed-americana/revere-paul-engraved-watch-paper-for-a-aron

Note they state it's the only one done by PR for A. Willard known. Nope. And a note to be careful about claims made by even the most august auction house. There's another in the collection of the American Antiquarian Society pictured in the above reference and a better image here:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/fine-manuscript-and-printed-americana/revere-paul-engraved-watch-paper-for-a-aron

RM

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    These two links are to the same web page. Did you mean the second link to be something else?

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
  10. 4thdimension

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    That’s the one . Mine wasn’t quite as clean and the xerox makes it look worse. I have a copy of the American Watch Papers book which is where I learned about the Paul Revere origin of the paper. Thank you for posting the pics. -Cort

11. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gosh. I'm going to have to have a look through my old stuff.

PatH likes this.