I need help on how old this thing is.......

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by pwrudy, Nov 8, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your watch is an Elgin 18 size, grade 82 (total of 163.000 produced), hunting case, gilt movement, lever set and has 15 jewels, dating about to 1883.
    Need more information? It is on the cheaper end of the value scale, I am afraid to say.

2. abereiter

abereiter Guest

May be on the "common" side but still a nice watch. Family items are priceless. Does it work? If not I'm sure it could be repaired after all it is an Elgin. Enjoy that nice old watch.

------------------
    Aaron Bereiter
    NAWCC #156432
    Proud IHC Member #55

3. ckeithjohnson

ckeithjohnson Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't know what value scale would rate this 18size 15 jewel Elgin near the bottom. In 1882 15 jewels was the state of the art and Elgin was just as well thought of as Waltham or Illinois in the same configuration. Check your Shugart's book.

4. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, friends, I did not want to devalue this watch which of course was a middle class model in these times, 19+ jewels being aboluteley uncommon. Now the G.M. Wheeler grade was NOT the top of the line, it usually came unadjusted (the top grades were B.W. Raymond and H.H. Taylor). I have a price list from 1892 showing the B.W.Raymond (movement only) in nickel finish at $ 33,60, whereas the G.M. Wheeler gilt finish was available for $ 15,80. Both movements of course had 15 jewels. The cheapest was a No. 73 gilt, 7 jewels for $ 8,80 (all wholesale prices, I believe, and uncased!).
    I therefore think not being mistaken to speak of a decent, middle class movement in those days. With collectors nowadays being crazy for high jeweled watches or special grades, this one would rank lower than, say, a 15j H.H. Taylor of the same age, still being somewhat undervalued.
    Another point, of course, is the personal value of an heirloom that can be traced back through the centuries, making this watch a unique and most treasured piece.

5. railman

railman Guest

pwrudy,

Wholesale to a jeweler, the 1892 BW Raymond movement would be $635.90 in 2001 dollars. Then there is the cost of the case, dial, hands and labor. Expensive little doodads...