I know it's just an ogee, but....

Discussion in 'Highlights' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Aug 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #1 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2020
    Yes, I know it's just an ogee, but I still thought it had some merit, artistic and otherwise.

It's a standard sized ogee:

brewster& ingraham ogee 1.JPG

Rather nicely figured mahogany veneer on a pine carcass. Some dings, but basically nicely preserved.

The while enameled wood dial with black Roman numerals bears a beautiful original script signature and placename:

brewster& ingraham ogee 5.JPG

Honestly, and this is anecdotal, I have seen many more 30 hour spring driven miniature ogees by this maker than standard 30 hour weight driven ones.

Here's the label:

brewster& ingraham ogee 2.JPG

It's printed by Elihu Geer of Hartford, CT. No address. Just identifies him as "job and card printer".

brewster& ingraham ogee 3.JPG

Not sure what date he used this type of credit.

Here's the somewhat butchered movement:

brewster& ingraham ogee 4.JPG

Sorry, not the best picture.

Note this brass unribbed 30 hour time and strike weight driven brass movement is stamped "Brewster and Ingraham/Bristol, Ct." The stamp looks right, but it was a double strike. I've had the clock apart and it really does look original.

Now, I frequently thoroughly screw this up, but going through Snowden's Noble Jerome patent movement article, this appears to be a 5.43 by the Union Mfg. Co. In the tables, B&I is not listed as one of their customers. H'mm.

Now, see Tran's Ingraham book, pages 60-62 as well as 66-67.

On pages 60-62, Brewster and Ingraham 30 weight ogees are discussed. On pages 66-67, empire cased 30 hour weight clocks are discussed. As per this reference, B&I did not make their own weight driven 30 hour movements prior to 1850. They were supplied by others including Welch (spelled "Welsh"; c'mon guys, get that right), Manross and Forestville. Union is not mentioned as a supplier. I will add that Welton also supplied fusee movements. See my fusee thread for an example.

See Ultsch and Cowan, page 49. Added to the list of suppliers of 30 hour weight driven movements provided above is "and others". Maybe Union?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

However, the true reason for acquiring another ogee was the tablet:

brewster& ingraham ogee 6.JPG

It is absolutely original and survives in wonderful condition (no, not all tablets in good condition are replacements). I have not seen this tablet before. I think its wonderful!

I perused Paul Henion's opus (Watch and Clock Bulletin, January/February 2020, Volume 62/1, Number 443) and I couldn't find it there.

Okay, something superfluous.

An interest of mine are sandpaper drawings. Sometimes called "marble dust" drawings. A very American form of 19th century folk art. They are often included in the category of "school girl" art. This refers to genteel young ladies (and yes, young men, too) were taught things like watercolor, embroidery, and so on.

A paper about the weight of construction paper was given a coating of fine marble dust which adhered to a coating of white sizing. Images were then rendered in chalk and charcoal or pastels. The use of the marble dust imparted a degree of three dimensionality as well a sparkle.

They could be original compositions. Often, a print was the source of the image.

I have owned and sold many (boy do I regret some of the great ones I have sold!), some are now in one of the best collections of these in the country.

I recently came across this one which also satisfied my need for something off-beat:

sandpaper collage 1.JPG sandpaper collage 3.JPG sandpaper collage 2.JPG

It's a sandpaper of a lake with a fisherman. It was made a 3 dimensional collage with the additions of sand, lichens, dried flowers, sticks, layering of the sandpaper and adding details with needle and thread! Rather substantial in size.

RM

Please see the complete thread: American - I know it's just an ogee, but....