• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

English I have purchased this grandfather clock about a year ago .I am looking for help to identify it and help to find parts ?? TY

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would help a lot in trying to identify your clock if we could see the whole thing, case, dial etc..

What parts are you looking for?

JTD

57chevy

Jul 13, 2014
IMG_1078.jpg

It would help a lot in trying to identify your clock if we could see the whole thing, case, dial etc..

What parts are you looking for?
there`s a wheel missing , and other parts for the chime . I have no idea what there are call . It say on pic on top Burn`s at flouch .

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
You have a traditional 8 day European (possibly English) Time and Strike movement (Strike not Chime)

You are missing the Bell; you probably can obtain one from TimeSavers or Merritts.

Andy Dervan

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It say on pic on top Burn`s at flouch .
I think you may have mis-read the wording. I suspect it says 'plough', not 'flouch'.

You photo is not clear enough to be sure, perhaps you could post a close-up?

there`s a wheel missing , and other parts for the chime
Apart from the bell, which Andy Dervan has mentioned, and which is easily replaceable, what other parts do you think are missing?

JTD

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I really like the rack.

It would certainly appear to be a post 1830 longcase from the UK, by then the movements were generally made in large numbers and shipped to assemblers. The attractive flourish on the rack suggests it is a bit individual.

Most parts will have be specially made, apart from generic items like bells, pendulum etc

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
The dial looks Scottish, with maybe an allusion to Burns, "To a mouse..." , or his fascination with the plough/ploughman. The case looks American, though some Scottish cases can have the look, or is it the other way around.

Ralph

howtorepairpendulumclocks

Dec 18, 2020
Country
I noticed there is Sharpie pen around the front winding arbors on the plate:???: Just guessing this is because they are worn slightly? They don't need bushing just in case that's what you have in mind.... Hope you don't mind me saying.

howtorepairpendulumclocks

Dec 18, 2020
Country
Also looks like you have wire rope lines there? If you ever have the movement apart, suggest you replace with natural gut. made a video about it here...

Reactions: Ralph

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The dial looks Scottish, with maybe an allusion to Burns, "To a mouse..." , or his fascination with the plough/ploughman. The case looks American, though some Scottish cases can have the look, or is it the other way around.

Ralph
The dial does look to be for the Scottish market, some were painted in Scotland too but a lot were painted in Birmingham. The rack may point to more local input.

The case looks rather light in colour for a Scottish clock and the swan necks on the top of the hood rather plain. What wood is used? That may confirm the case as US made.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Also looks like you have wire rope lines there? If you ever have the movement apart, suggest you replace with natural gut. made a video about it here...
I use the same knots, but I have always put the gut onto the movement first and finished on the seatboard when I have enough line. It may be because I'm a beginner, I just put on enough line for the clock I'm working on. I only work on my own clocks so I haven't done that many.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Nick,

I think the case looks like it may be made of Cherry, though I was fooled once by a Halifax clock.

Regards, Ralph

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I did wonder about cherry, I know it was popular.