I have Lizzie Borden's watch . . .

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jboger, Apr 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    . . . or what remains of it. Someone gave it 40 whacks.

0-1.jpg 0.jpg

2. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    OK, OK, so it's not her watch. But it does come from Fall River, Massachusetts, where she lived. The signature on the watch appears to be Niels Arznen or Arnzon. Niels strikes me as Danish, but the last name I can not place.

John

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Niels Arnzen - a Norwegian watchmaker and jeweler in Fall River, Massachusetts. Looks like he was born around 1818 in Denmark. I found references from 1840s to his being in Fall River. Found a later business list where he was included as a piano tuner - not sure if it was him, a descendant or someone who worked for him.

Here are a few references. The first says he sold watches when he had a shipment, so not sure about the "watchmaker" part of it. The second link shows a fusee watch with his dial and attributed to him. The third link shows his trademark.

The Herald News, Fall River, MA
    Neils Arnzen Fall River Mass. American Made Fusee 18k - Nov 18, 2017 | Dan Morphy Auctions in PA
    American Silver Marks A - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Good luck with the watch and in your search to learn more about him.

Allan C. Purcell and Keith R... like this.
  4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    jboger, Niels Arnzen was born 07/03/1816 in Christiana, Norway, died Fall River, Mass 4/23/1906. Sold watches, jewelry and musical instruments and was a watch repairer, instrument repairer, piano tuner and silvesmith in Fall River from at least 1853 until his death. He had a son, William Niels born 9/1854, daughter Laura, b. 8/1882, wife Eliza, 1830-1855, wife Mary E, 1843-1927, md 1861. He emigrated to Massachussetts in 1836. He is buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery in Fall River with his two wives. His son followed him into the business and the business was Niels Arnzen and Son in 1874. Just in case you were interested.

Allan C. Purcell and PatH like this.
  5. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Very much interested. And thanks to both of you for that information. I recall an earlier attempt many years ago to find such information and failed. Note that the listing on the auction site Liveauctioneers describes the watch as "American made." Well, we know that not to be true.

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, no dial or case? Looks like it was a decent watch at one point in its life.

7. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, no dial and no case. Also no upper hole and cap jewel on the balance cock, and no jewel on the fusee. Someone stripped this watch for parts.

8. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm curious. Do my Foreign Correspondents know who Lizzie Borden was? We all know the name Jack the Ripper although not his identity. Lizzie Borden was acquitted.

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lizzie Borden and her axe, gave her mother 40 whacks and when she was good and done, she gave her father 41, just in case nobody heard it.