I have face problems

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ClockCollector, Mar 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    This would seem to suggest that the problem has to be related in some way to the face or how it is mounted. It might help if we could see some pictures of how the face is attached to the movement. I think Tinker is on the right track - something may be twisting or distorting the movement when the face is attached. Does the face slip into place easily? Is it possible that the face is attached to the case and when the screws that attach the movement are tightened that there is a strain between the movement and the face? You might try loosening all the mounting screws and see if it runs OK.

RC

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm seeing what roughbarked mentioned. The hour cannon seems to be in contact with the edge of the dial hole, and that will produce enough friction to eventually stop the clock.

3. ClockCollector

ClockCollector Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Hey guys,

I just found out something interesting. There are two layers to the face (there's a metal sheet behind the outer face. It looks like someone pressed that sheet so it bent inwards slightly and was pressed against the face. I got a tool and popped it back to where it was supposed to be and am currently testing the clock with the face on. It is running well so far, so perhaps that was the problem. The camera angle made the arbor look like it was touching the outer face, but the inner piece of it was rubbing against the hour cannon.

I'll keep you all posted.

4. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Well, the clock has been running and working fine. However, the clock runs too slow! Even after adjusting the pendulum bob to the highest position, it runs too slow. The suspension spring is in good condition and the pendulum has a wide motion of movement so it's getting enough power. Otherwise, everything else is working fine. Any ideas on this?

5. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Can we see a picture of the back of the movement with the pendulum and weight attached?

Generally, when a clock is running with a healthy swing and is running slow one usually first suspects that the pendulum bob, the leader, and/or the suspension spring may have been replaced with incorrect parts. Some clear pictures of what you have now will help determine a solution. To make the clock run faster the total length of suspension and pendulum assemble will need to be reduced, the amount depending on how slow the clock is running.

Is the time loss consistent? When setting the clock does it seen that the minute hand can be moved with very little pressure? There is always the possibility that the clock is running at the correct rate but something is slipping with the clutch that allows the hands to be set.

RC

6. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    I'll get to taking the photos - I'm currently away.

The time loss is consistent, and the minute hand moves very readily when setting it - very little resistance. How would Iadjust the clutch?

I'll take the photos as soon as I arrive back.

7. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Depends on the design of the clock. In some cases just tightening the minute hand (pressing in the retaining pin and/or an extra washer). Sometimes the clutch parts are between the plates. Pictures of the center shaft might help.

RC

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I'll bet that's your problem. Yes, pic's of the center shaft please.

9. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Well, I just made some new spacers for the minute hand arbor, and then made a taper pin with a small head (for easy removal) on my metal lathe. The minute hand is snug now with a little bit of resistance when you move it, which is much better than before where it almost fell due to gravity. I'll get back to you all when I see how it keeps time with the pendulum bob attached. Here's a link to a video of it working (without the bob). I did some closeups of the two parts I made for the minute hand arbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVatWFMkCWU

Thanks!

10. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator

Nov 4, 2002
    It sounds like it needs to have the chime wound up, as it is barely running. Also looks like you may need to adjust the hand bushing a small amount as the chime seems to trip after the 15 minute marks by a couple of minutes, but it may just be how you are moving the hand.

11. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Well, it looks like it's keeping good time now and everything is functioning as it should. Harold, I adjusted the bushing so that it lines up now precisely on the quarters.

Thanks everyone.