I hate midget torsion clocks

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I have a Kundo midget that is giving me a lot of problems, it’s been running fine for years then all of a sudden it stopped and won’t go again, I have stripped and cleaned it , including mainspring and oiled with Mobil 1, also polished pivots and bushes to within an inch of there life, polished anchor pin and fork , it’s in beat .
Anyone have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Dell CCF6C6E0-2957-437F-8F0A-1DBFB433194F.jpeg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Keep in mind that this is just a Kundo miniature with a shorter suspension spring and a cutout in the rear plate. And we all know how much fun the Kundo miniature can be! Two things that have taken me down on these movements are the clearance between the pendulum and the retaining plate, and some minor imperfection on a tooth of the mainspring barrel. The latter may not be obvious for months and months.

Reactions: Ken M

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I can see from the photo that the pallet is hung up. This suggests you've got power at the escape wheel, although maybe not enough. Can't see from the photo where the slot in the fork is relative to the anchor pin. Is it far enough forward to hang up on the pin?

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I can see from the photo that the pallet is hung up. This suggests you've got power at the escape wheel, although maybe not enough. Can't see from the photo where the slot in the fork is relative to the anchor pin. Is it far enough forward to hang up on the pin?
This clock has the closed end fork, the pin is about 3/4 the way along the slot in fork.
I have checked every wheel at high magnification.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
How did it perform without the anchor installed and a couple of clicks on the mainspring?

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
does it run without hands , dial and motion work? Kind of encircling the problem...
Burkhard

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
At three clicks to freewheel I take them down for overhaul. Should run at full wind though. First thing I noticed was where the fork is, seems way to low compared to the two kundo "midgets" I have both of which have the fork about 1mm from the top of the pin.

Wayne

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
At three clicks to freewheel I take them down for overhaul. Should run at full wind though. First thing I noticed was where the fork is, seems way to low compared to the two kundo "midgets" I have both of which have the fork about 1mm from the top of the pin.

Wayne
I have tried moving the fork up a bit and down a bit but I will have another go, at the moment it’s back to the book and I know that’s only a starting point .

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I have a few clocks with that hairs breath between the pendulum and a bracket. One clock I gave up and just removed the bracket, I just couldn't get enough clearance, I don't know how it ever ran like that.

Reactions: Dells

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimik
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-