I got this little problem with this french movement

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Got this movement from my friend who lives a couple of miles away. He is a long time clock repairman and is most responsible for the disease I have of fooling with these clocks. Because of an unexpected illness in his family recently he had to close his shop for about three weeks with 3 or 4 repairs in started but uncompleted stages. His work backed up and I offered to help him catch up, which he accepted.

This movement was on his test stand and was basically finished but needed a pendulum rod fitted and regulated.

I opened up his shop, took the movement off the stand and put it in my car and took it home. I noticed when I put it on my stand that the hour cannon was missing but didn’t think anything of it when I saw there was no keeper built to the movement to hold it on and figured it came off with the dial. You know the rest of the story, I have no memory of ever seeing it. It’s been too long since he took the dial off and he doesn’t remember either. We have both been looking and haven’t given up, I’m going to search the grounds around his shop tomorrow with a metal detector. I am getting a little concerned. Not in panic mode yet, but close.

I’ve worked on several of these little movements and many, made by different makers, look like they were made from the same set of plans. I’ve got this sinking feeling that the parts aren’t interchangeable but I thought I would ask anyway. Any ideas on where I might find one if this one is not found. I have included as many dimensions as I can think of.................BUMMER:bang:

Any help or ideas is appreciated.
Randy

DSCN0255.jpg DSCN0256.jpg DSCN0257.JPG DSCN0255-2.jpg DSCN0258.jpg

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
You will never 'find' one the same - if you do then you are lucky!!

The advantage is that it doesn't have a snail to worry about.

Getting one made to fit is another option even though it will cost you. It will be quicker and get the clock out of the door which will improve your reputation in the area. Customer satisfaction is most important when you have a shop and word of mouth gets around.
This is what I would recommend, unless you have loads of time to waste! Sorry for the pun.

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
With this short type of minute wheel cock this tends to happen, in fact, the length of the minute wheel cock is one of the first things you check when picking up a French movement. The chance of finding one that fits is unfortunately rather slim. I shall have a look through my spare parts to see if I might have one.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
With this short type of minute wheel cock this tends to happen, in fact, the length of the minute wheel cock is one of the first things you check when picking up a French movement. The chance of finding one that fits is unfortunately rather slim. I shall have a look through my spare parts to see if I might have one.
I thought this would probably be the case. Both me and my friend believe it is misplaced rather than lost due to dropping it off unknowingly. It likely came off when the dial was removed because it is likely the hour hand was stuck to it and there would have been no backup to keep it from unmeshing from the pinion. However too much time has passed since it was stripped to retrace ones moves. But I cannot rule out the possibility that I dropped it because it was on the stand with the back facing me and I simply reached around and palmed the front of the movement as I removed it from the stand and carried it straight away to my car and placed it face down in a padded box I keep just for transporting movements, without ever actually looking at the front, that I can recall, until I got it to my workplace and removed it from the box. However, I have no problems of sending the movement to someone specialized in making parts such as this and having one fitted to it if need be, I just thought it best to come here first, and knew the friends in the UK would be most experienced with these movements.

Thank you and OT for the replies.
Randy

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Had a good look Randy, I'm sorry I can't help with you with the size you need from the UK, hope you find it.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
No problem. You'll find it at the last place you look for it.
I am very confident you are correct. The only question is will it be before or after I have one made and fitted to the movement.

Thank you Shimmy for your effort and reply. Not the first part I've lost, just the first one from somebody elses clock.:bang:

emhitch

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
Country
Region
Hi Randy, although somewhat of a "long shot", you might try David LaBounty for a replacement. David has a large and diverse inventory of parts. He can be reached here

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Hi Randy, although somewhat of a "long shot", you might try David LaBounty for a replacement. David has a large and diverse inventory of parts. He can be reached here
Thank you Emhitch. Will do if it doesn't turn up soon. David is one of the few people I consider to be "The Man" when it comes to things like this.

My friend talked to the owner, a good customer and also a good guy. No problems there, no hurry on his account. However this problem will be corrected promptly.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isignaslily
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool