"I Got a Right to Sing the [Covid] Blues", but Let's Talk About Interesting Items in Our Collections

Discussion in 'Highlights' started by Ethan Lipsig, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Ethan Lipsig, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
    We've got to fight isolation and depression in these very uncertain times. So let's post accounts of interesting watches, clocks, or other artifacts in our collections, such as items once owned by famous people, surprising finds, or unusual items. I will start this thread off with this:

IMG_4821.JPG IMG_0987_edited.JPG IMG_0940_edited.JPG IMG_4370.jpg IMG_0941_edited.JPG IMG_4368.jpg IMG_4368-copy_edited.jpg

It is a circa 1924 14k Elgin C.H. Hulburd pocket watch that is interesting for three reasons.

One is that Hulburds are scarce (no more than about 800 were made). They were Elgin's prestige "presentation" model, head-on competitor to the Keystone-Howard Edward Howard model, the Waltham Premier Maximus, and their ilk.

Another is that this watch has an unusual etched case, weird crown, strange bow, interesting dial, and odd hands.

This watch also was originally owned by a well-know writer, Fred C, Kelly. I acquired it from his grand-daughter in 2010. She told me:

This watch belonged to my grandfather Fred C Kelly. He was a writer who was the first nationally syndicated columnist. He wrote many books on such subjects as the stock market, raising dogs and fellow Ohio humorists. He was most recognized for editing the autobiography of the Wright Brothers, Miracle at Kitty Hawk, which I believe is still being published. He was great friends with Orville Wright and is credited for bringing the Wright Brothers plane to the Smithsonian. My father just passed away at age 98 and he claimed to be the last living person to shake hands with Orville Wright.
    Fred C. Kelly also wrote How to Lose Your Money Prudently, something many of us have been doing in great gobs lately.

For more about Kelly, see Fred C. Kelly - Wikipedia.

-------------------------------

Continue reading the rest of this interesting thread here: "I Got a Right to Sing the [Covid] Blues", but Let's Talk About Interesting Items in Our Collections