I didn't know Hermle helped make 1920's Ansonia Movements..!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Isaac, May 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Begun my teardown of my Sonia clock movement today and have encountered a clockmaker's hall-of-shame worthy repair. Yes, it looks like Hermle played a big part in this repair!

First off, someone took what looks like the result of a hacksaw and cut out a corner of a Hermle plate to use as a makeshift mainspring hole. Then, they used the hacksaw to cut two slots into the Ansonia plate for who knows what reason. :mad: Then a good ol' glob of sodder looks like it was used to join the two pieces together, and both of the plates are severely discolored from this process. Also, check out why we don't oil winding gears!

The result? When you tighten down the mainspring sub-plate, both of the plates are bent outwards at their lower portions, especially near the strike train where the repair is. The second wheel has almost 90% of its pivot showing out in the open instead of inside the plate as you can see in the picture. You've got to be kidding me! :mad: This is an accident waiting to happen.

Whoever did this repair makes screw in bushings and rathbun bushings look like a heavenly offering. Fix one thing and break 50 other things. My question is - is this plate salvageable at all? Why would someone go through all of this work instead of just doing the job the right way?

IMG_9184.JPG IMG_9210.JPG IMG_9212.JPG IMG_9213.JPG

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any suggestions on where to start with this one?

4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. Give it a try. I would completely disassemble taking many photos and marking wheels (somehow). Strip the plates and rebuild all those messes. Plug the hacksaw slots by soldering in strips of brass and polishing them out. Then bush bad holes and polish pivots. Lots of work but doable.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like the plates are overlapped? That's going to be a challenge!