I am polish ignorant help?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by ChrisCam, Mar 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, the only polish in my tool kit is natural beeswax. Can anyone suggest the type of polish they recommend for any particular wooden clock type.
    Regards
    Chris

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It depends a lot on what sort of finish you are dealing with. If the wooden case is lacquered, ebonised, stained, natural and so on. Is the case clean? I always use a clock-case cleaner before any polish. This removes nicotine and any other grime and lets you see what the case is supposed to look like, without destroying the finish.

Then the best I can say is that normally, good quality wax polish, such as Liberon, which is available in a range of colors, is suitable. Avoid anything which contains silicone.

Your natural beeswax is also fine, although of course it is (presumably) colorless.

Hope this helps a little.

JTD

3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks using a clock case cleaner is something I did not know.
    Chris

4. oricko

oricko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    retired
    grass valley, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A suggested case cleaner would be ?

5. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It really depends on the finish, but I see alot of people using gojo or some type of waterless hand cleaner as a case cleaner with good results. There is special cleaners you can buy from suppliers.
    I use Renaissance wax for alot of things. I haven't used it on a wood clock case yet but I've used it on guitars and other things.

rascalsally likes this.
  6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use New Life if I need a cleaner. Used to find it on Ebay but not lately.
    Furniture Masque The Grime Cleaner for the Dirtiest Wood and Furniture
    Yeah, a lot of things will probably work. But New Life makes even me say, "wow". I apply with an appropriate sized paint brush. Wipe off, let set for a week or 2, then wax.

For wax I use either Renaissance, Behlen's Blue Label, or Clapham's Beeswax polish.

7. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really useful chris...thanks!
    chris

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. New Life Furniture Masque. Won't affect lacquer or shellac.
    I've used Johnson's carnauba paste wax.

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am sure New Life Furniture Masque is very good, but unfortunately it does not seem to be available in UK, which is where the OP (ChrisCam) is. Gojo can be bought in UK with great difficulty and very expensive.

The one I can recommend that is available in UK is 'Curator' Clock Case restorer. It is excellent and a little goes a very long way. It will surprise you have much grime and dirt you can remove. (It is also available in USA, as Timesavers import it from UK).

As for Behlen's and Clapham's, they are also not available in UK. However, Renaissance Polish (colorless) is available in UK, and is indeed very good. The Briwax colored polish range is excellent, as is the Liberon range.

Hope this helps

JTD

ChrisCam likes this.
  10. rascalsally

rascalsally Newbie

May 21, 2016
    CT, USA
    Country Flag:
    I saw this thread and expected a whole different topic, lol.
    As to the wooden clock waxes / cleaners would antique furniture restorer type products work or is there something specific or reason to avoid certain type products. I have a couple old clocks I wanted to clean up and I was going to use what I've used on antiques (wooden) in the past on them. (Please don't ask what it is because I'm currently in process of pulling my hair out trying to remember the name.) One of the clocks has some serious heavy orange peely kind of buildup that I've come across on antiques before. I had used a product a few years ago that worked amazingly well on a few chairs I had aquired. Anyway I guess I'm just wondering if specific types of cleaners/polish should be avoided when using on antique wooden clocks?
    Thanks!
    ~Sally

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, if you read the posts above yours you will see quite a lot of the information you are requesting.

I suppose the basic rule is: use nothing harsh. Clean the case as has been described, then use any good quality wax polish, but preferably one that does not contain silicone.

Antique wooden clocks are not really any different from antique wooden furniture.

The 'orange-peel' effect you describe sounds as if you may have old shellac which has 'alligatored'. There is plenty of advice about this on this website - use the little magnifying glass icon to search.

Photos of what you are talking about would also help.

JTD

12. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks JTD for the UK recommendations. There usually is a UK equivalent just a case of finding it.
    Chris

13. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Sally, yes you do have to watch how you use words as polish with a capital could mean something not intended.
    Chris

D.th.munroe likes this.
  14. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For cleaning old, dirty finishes I've had excellent results with "Kotton Klenser"

www.kottonklenser.com

Bill

15. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Bill every little helps
    Chris

16. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Another tip is to try any cleaner in a small, inconspicuous spot first. Some finishes are very fragile.