Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by David S, Aug 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hope all of our members and families who may be affected by Hurricane Harvey are safe and with minimal damage.

Sincerely,

David

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm in the Woodlands about 35 miles north of downtown Houston and so far we are OK but the forecast is for three more days of constant rain. :( We live not far from Spring Creek which flooded in May last year and came close to putting us under, so far it's still about 6 feet below flood stage even with all the rain so maybe we'll luck out.

The suburbs on the west and southwest of Houston are being hit very hard, flooding and tornados to boot. Also the inner city area is experiencing historic flooding right now, one of our daughters lives in Bellaire just inside the inner loop and their street flooded yesterday evening, now have water in their garage but the house is still about 18 inches above the water. Everybody waiting and praying . . .

The Houston Regional started Thursday on schedule but the only folks that showed up were table holders and a few walk-ins. Friday was more of the same, about 85% of the table holders packed up and left by closing (including me). They were planning to have a couple of presentations Saturday morning but I've not heard how it went. Will be a substantial loss for Chapter 139.

I expect there will be a number of members who will be flooded, will keep in touch with Chapter 139 executive to see who is affected.

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Good luck down there in TX(and vicinity), I'm looking at video and it really looks
    bad, plus all the rain you are getting. I still have stress from Sandy.

Rob

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wishing you all a dry (or at least not a devastating) outcome!

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hope all are safe, looks really bad from what i have seen in the news.

6. sprio

sprio Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm just southwest of you, John, in Cypress - water is about two feet from our house, roads are impassable. We've had almost 21" of rain in the last 36 hours - hoping that the rains this evening and tomorrow area bit less than that, and don't raise the water level enough to wash into the house.

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Certainly these are unheard of amounts of rain. If an inch of rain is equal to a foot of snow, imagine 48 feet of snow! Our prayers are with Texans dealing with this.

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read it was around 8 cubic miles of water fell on the area, that's an awful lot of water.

9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all, I live in the Northern Territory and previously in Northern Queensland; over the years I have been through 5 Large Cyclones so I can understand what the people of Texas are going through. My heart goes out to them and God Bless them. The terrible mess and loss of life in theses types of Storms is very hard to imagine unless you have been though such an event. Regards Ray (Omexa)

10. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The All Texas Chapters Regional closed on Friday. The only ones remaining on Saturday were those volunteers cleaning up late on Friday. The hotel did not penalize on room counts as the storm is considered an act of God. We made arrangements with the hotel to give breakfasts to those remaining on Saturday and that had paid for breakfasts. I paid but decided to leave during a lull in the storm. I live a couple of blocks north of the Atticks reservoir in west Houston near Katy, Tx and have had over 40" so far. I have since stopped emptying my rain gauge. Our home has never been flooded, even though several neighborhoods in the vicinity have, and, with some optimism, don't think we will have to leave due to the high water. Maybe my geologic background paid off when shopping for our home back in the '80s. Time will tell. Several Chapter 139 members have been keeping in touch and I know of one that has had to evacuate and is now at a fellow member's home. We lost electricity a couple of times when the winds were around but have since settled down in our area. That's about it.

11. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a quick update. I spoke too soon about Spring Creek being below flood stage, a few hours after I made my post it started rising about 6 inches per hour but I had gone to bed asd was blissfully unaware of that happening. I had set an early alarm and at 5:30 am Monday the drainage channel behind my home was level full and rising, the front turned out to be already under water too deep to drive through. Six hours later we were being evacuated by a local fire department using an old army truck driving through nearly 4 feet of water in the street. There was about 10 inches of water in the house at the time.

Fortunately one of my daughters also lives in The Woodlands in an area that has never flooded, so we are staying with her for the duration until the house can be repaired. The water rose another 5 inches after we left, not as much as I expected based on flood level reports, but still enough to do major damage to the floors, cabinets, doors, etc. I was able to go back late Tuesday afternoon to have a look and get some things we needed, it will be a major cleanup required

Regarding my clocks, I had time after waking to the rising water to put up almost everything that was below waist level, only three hall clocks took water and only at the bottom of the cases. There are a few clocks I had stored in the bottom of a couple of cabinets I forgot about but none of them were expensive. On balance the collection fared well.

Tomorrow starts the process to put things back in order, not at all looking forward to that but it is what it is. I'll be checking the MB but posting less for a while.

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All the very best for the cleanup and getting back to normal.At least you and yours are safe.

13. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry for you loss, John. I left the Regional Saturday morning and
    drove through Tropical storm conditions until I reached Huntsville. I got out just in time.

Best of luck with your recovery efforts.

Jim
    Chapter 124

14. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John:

Sorry to hear of your personal disaster. How is Beth doing through all this?

Frank

15. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    John--will say a prayer for you and your family-- your safety and the task that lies in the days ahead.

16. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At the worst I was just perhaps about a foot above the waters.
    They were creeping up my driveway... I had no sleep on the nights when this went on, walking out in the rain and looking at markers I put out to see if it was getting worse...
    I am so blessed, my home was never flooded now or in previous rains. I am touched every time I think about it, and about my experience during IKE, of the winds over my home, sounding like a jet engine going constant for a half hour on each side of the Eye of the storm. I am so touched by thoughts I have of those less fortunate...
    Today I received a desperately needed offer of employment.
    The song morning after is a wonderful expression of the feelings I have had in those experiences.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KClpLzFftU
    Dave.

17. Ticktinker

Ticktinker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Construction Inspector
    Houston Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A note about the volume of rainfall here.
    One of the more prominent weather forecasters reported we had around 9 Trillion Gallons of rainfall. It is interesting how many times it would fill various things like the Empire state building...
    Amazing! Check out tv Kprc Houston Frank Billingsley. I have heard the NOAA regards him as having highest forecasting skills...

18. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes that's what I heard, it is about 8 cubic miles I think. (A 2 mile cube)

The floods in Asia seem to be worse, I don't know if that is the geography or the volume of water, but millions displaced, hundreds already known to have died.

19. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, thanks for your concern. Beth is doing OK, now trying to get settled in at our daughter's place. There has been a lot of help from family, friends, and complete strangers as the word has gotten out.

20. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John:

Sorry to hear of your damage. If there is anything we can do from afar, please let us know.

Robert Gary